Evan Reiter

Oh ME, Oh My!

I'm proud to say that fellow Canadian Mitch Monette (ME) has just passed his final OTS and is now BVA's newest Center controller! The culmination of 22 months of training in our community, Mitch's Center certification is the final chapter of instructor-led training in our airspace, and authorizes him to manage our entire airspace on his own. 

The Boston Center certification usually takes between 18-24 months to achieve, with countless hours spent both on the network and in self-study. Within these last two years, Mitch has put in more than 500 hours as a controller on the network gaining experience and working some of the busiest positions in our largest events. What isn't shown in those statistics are the hours of preparation, exam-taking, and training that happens in the "sweatbox" behind the scenes. 

As you may know, Mitch joined our community as a visitor from New York Center on January 4, 2020. Do you remember January, 2020? WINGS was called PRP. Going for groceries was a chore, not the only thing you got to do that week. And Mitch was beginning his controlling career here with a 100% score on his SOP Exam, a trend that would continue throughout his training. Comments about being "well prepared" and ready for each session are found throughout his training reports. 

Fortunately for us, he saw the light and elected to transfer to make Boston his home facility in May, 2020, then joined our training staff as a Mentor on November 29 of the same year. He has steadily progressed through the varied levels of training to achieve this coveted final certification just a few moments ago. 

Congratulations Mitch - enjoy the license to learn!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Manager
Administration Team

Thank you all for the kind words, and especially RT for the awesome write-up. This C1 certification would not have been possible without the training staff and BVA members who helped me learn, grow, and most importantly, enjoy my time here. I appreciate all of you!

Guest Doug Ventura
On 10/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, Don Desfosse said:

Congrats on a phenomenal achievement, ME; a wonderful reward for all the time, study, practice, training, blood, sweat, tears, motivation and dedication.  And a strong nod to RT for such a strong and fitting writeup.  

Don...any chance you're the same Desfosse that worked with me at R------- in the 2000's?  If so, I remember you well!  Student pilot myself right now....learning all about the cool Sim options, like VATSIM!!