Evan Reiter

Audio for VATSIM: Information for Members

This thread has been created for us to share tips and tricks about Audio for VATSIM (AFV), the new and enhanced voice platform for the network, AFV is scheduled for release on October 14, and represents the biggest technological change in VATSIM’s recent history. AFV boasts crystal-clear audio, VHF radio simulation, range-based frequencies, and more. The new system will result in radio communications that are clearer and more realistic than what we are familiar with today.

To support the transition, the network will be offline beginning at 4pm ET on October 13 for up to 24 hours.

This is a VATSIM-driven change and is external to BVA. While our staff will do our best to keep members up-to-date, we encourage you to look for the latest news on AFV on the VATSIM Twitter page and at http://vats.im/voice.

When AFV is live on October 14, you’ll notice the following changes:

• Frequencies are now ‘live’ at all times; you can tune into any frequency and transmit, just like in an airplane.
  • Frequencies are based on range and location; you may not be able to hear every pilot, and in some cases, communication with Center facilities on the ground may not be as clear as in the air. If you are unable to reach ATC by voice, you can continue to use text or a private message.
  • While transmitting, you will not be able to hear incoming messages. Similarly, if two people transmit at the same time, you may hear one of them, or you may hear a heterodyne (tone) blocking out each.

Pilots should remember that:

• The most important thing you can do is ensure your microphone is calibrated correctly and the volume is adjusted in your pilot client. 
  • The VATSIM-wide CTAF/UNICOM of 122.80 is now voice-enabled. Its range is limited to 15 miles. You may use this frequency with voice or text to transmit intentions when ATC is offline. Individual airport CTAFs are not to be used at this time.
  • If you need to speak to another pilot, consider using 122.80 or the international air-to-air frequency of 123.45. The use of ‘guard’ on 121.50 remains restricted by VATSIM Code of Conduct for the time being.

Once AFV is released, pilots will need to update their software to connect to the network:

1. For FSX/P3D pilots using vPilot to connect to the network, you’ll need to update to the latest version. You can do this now through the application or on the vPilot website.
  2. For X-Plane pilots, the recommendation is to upgrade to a new client called xPilot that is being released on October 14. You’ll be able to download it from http://vats.im/voice shortly. If you use swift or XSquawkbox, you’ll need to download a standalone client to connect to the network. Click here for more information.

This exciting change to the network is new to our controllers and staff as well. Over the first few weeks, we encourage pilots to be patient as we all learn the new system. We also invite you to share your tips and tricks, or ask questions, on Discord and our forums.

For more information, visit the Audio for VATSIM website

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

As of October 11, we have found out two new pieces of information, which have been updated in the post above (and are corrections to the email we just sent out):

1. Users of swift will need to download the AFV Standalone Client. The only X-Plane client that will be AFV-enabled at launch will be xPilot.
  2. The use of 121.50 remains forbidden by VATSIM Code of Conduct (for the time being)

As we find out additional information about AFV, we'll continue to publish it on this thread.

For controllers, we're told that our airspace has been pre-configured with the necessary transceivers and frequencies. However, our administration does not yet have access to the backend to verify it. Whether or not we do get access, we're told that ZBW's airspace is "more or less done" and should only need minor tweaks as we find out what does and doesn't work.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

VATSIM has just released the downloads and updates required for the launch of Audio for VATSIM on Monday. There may be some slight changes to the documentation as the X Plane clients are rapidly being updated.

You can access the files at https://audio.vatsim.net/ for your pilot or controller client. There is also additional information including links, text instructions for installations, tutorial videos on installing and using clients, and best practices for using Audio for VATSIM.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Audio for VATSIM is now live! Our controllers and pilots have been flying and enjoying the incredible new system for the past several hours. As expected, there are a few changes that are going to be required to enhance realism and improve voice communication in our airspace in the coming days. 

At this point, we understand that vPilot is available for pilots using P3D/FSX, and X-Plane pilots can use either swift (AFV integrated) or XSquawkbox by using the AFV Standalone Client. Controllers are able to connect using the regular software.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Leonardo

H!! I'm new in BVA... I'm waiting for approvation. I love your site!! 

On 10/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, Guest Leonardo said:

H!! I'm new in BVA... I'm waiting for approvation. I love your site!! 

Hi Leonardo, can you please send me an email ([email protected]) with your full name and CID so I can check on the status of your application.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team