Guest Nathan McGuire

Meigs field?

Guest Nathan McGuire

What I was thinking is, we could have the scenery team bring meigs field into fsx (it's not in the default scenery due to being notoriously destroyed in 2003) and have a GA fly in there.

Guest Nathan McGuire

KFMD for the more vulgar term....

And that identifier is currently available :)

Devon Hathaway - BVATC Scenery Design  "Cross Devon at or above 4000, cleared for the ILS RWY 9R approach"

Guest Jorge Salguero

And that identifier is currently available :)

We departed KFMD yesterday without addons.

Guest Jorge Salguero

We departed KFMD yesterday without addons.

According to airnav, that airport doesn't exist so if it is in FSX, it shouldn't be.

Guest Lucas Kaelin

FSX released Oct 2006. Meigs Field destroyed 2003.

Guest Nathan McGuire

Yes and if you actually read my first post I said maybe the scenery team could "bring it back"

Yes and if you actually read my first post I said maybe the scenery team could "bring it back"

No we'll have a Frankenstein airport :D

(Yes, I know that was a corny joke)

Guest Max Enis

And reference the Scenery to what exactly?

Guest Nathan McGuire

What do you mean?

Guest Max Enis

To be honest its just really not realistic for our community or our scenery guys. You need charts, frequencies, elevation info, exact location coordinates, etc. If you notice, almost none of the scenery our guys design is from scratch. Almost all of them say "ENHANCEMENTS" because they just take what FSX defaults it, and makes modifications for airport updates and realism.

That is basically saying let's have an event at Idlewild (KIDL) or Kai Tak.

Aerial Photos should be able to help.

What about world scenery enhancement such as REX, GEX, UTX, and/or FTX Global. Meigs Field I believe was on water outside of Chicago. I'm no scenery expert but I believe the scenery would have to overwrite all of the textures that they high-end aftermarket enhancements make.

Guest Nathan McGuire

Maybe referencing Northerly Island Park (what Meigs became after it was destroyed) would help? I don't know I'm not good with scenery and texture stuff

Bottom line: It's amusing to think about and joke about, but IMHO not the best use of the BVA Scenery Teams time.

To be honest its just really not realistic for our community or our scenery guys. You need charts, frequencies, elevation info, exact location coordinates, etc. If you notice, almost none of the scenery our guys design is from scratch. Almost all of them say "ENHANCEMENTS" because they just take what FSX defaults it, and makes modifications for airport updates and realism.

As for being too unrealistic or too complex for the BVA scenery team, I think they have more than the skills needed to do it. The landmass that was Meigs is still there so that's not an issue. Charts, Freq, Coordinates, Elevation data, etc. are all easy to obtain or create.

There are ample photos at both ground level and aerial of the original field, and Sat images of the current landmass. No issue there at all.

As an example, it was an amature attempt on my part, but I was able to take a real plot of land near where I live that had a small abandon grass runway on it and using some airport creation software and a pointers from some scenery people here I created my own private air park complete with an extended paved runway, houses and a mansion, private roads linking to the existing depicted roads, private hanger, taxiways, singage, VOR, etc. It even shows up on the default FSX GPS and map. So, if an amature hack like myself could do that, recreating Meigs is a perfectly do-able for the skilled people on our scenery team.

That said, I return to my opening comment in this post "Bottom line: It's amusing to think about and joke about, but not IMHO not the best use of the BVA Scenery Teams time."

I'd rather see the scenery team devote their generously donated skills, talents, and time to keeping the current real world active airfields up to date.

But, KFMD F#%& Mayor Daley field does have a nice ring to it... :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Tom G.

Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.

https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim