Evan Reiter

BVA Featured Airports Enhancement Update

BVA is proud to release the latest version of the BVA Featured Airports Scenery Enhancement! The package covers 36 airports within our preferred airspaces (ZBW and ZNY), with the exception of KBOS, which is included as its own package. This release combines several of the Airport Updates (released for events), as well as new files at KACK, KBDL, KISP, KOXC, KPWM, and many more.

One of the elements that BVA has been missing for a long time is an installer program that will automate the installation and updates of scenery files. Unfortunately, this means that members who already have BVA's Featured Airports Scenery Enhancement will need to manually uninstall the old files before installing this update. The instructions to do this are included below. We have re-named several files to help avoid this issue in the future.

We are happy to help you walk through this complicated process. If you would like me to remotely connect to your computer and get this all done for you, feel free to ask in FlightDesk. I can spend 5 minutes on your machine to get the files uninstalled, and install the new stuff for you.

If you choose to do the upgrade yourself, uninstalling previous versions of the files is critical in order to ensure you do not see duplicate items when accessing the scenery. Please follow the uninstallation instructions carefully.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions about the installation process, or if you notice anything that requires updating in the scenery, the installer, or these instructions.

---

1. [*]
Download the New Installer

[*]Uninstall the Previous Featured Airports Scenery Enhancement

• From your computer's Control Panel, uninstall "BVATC's AFCAD (Scenery) Enhancement". If the program doesn't exist, move to the next step.
  • Navigate to FSX's Addon Scenery location; for most installations, this is: C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XAddon Sceneryscenery.
  • Delete any files that were not uninstalled automatically, including:
    • Anything that has "AFX_" at the beginning (there should be 21 of these files; the full list is included at the bottom of this post for reference*).
    • The files "KPWM_VIS_REF.bgl" and "KACK_VIS_REF.bgl".
    • The file "AFCAD_V3_README.txt".
    • The files "ADEX_KPVD_BVA.BGL" and "ADEX_KPVD_BVA_CVX.BGL".
    • The file "Uninstal.exe"

If you don't have any of these files, then the uninstaller worked as it should have, and you can proceed to the next step.

[*]Check your Addon Sceneryscenery folder for the following files; if the exist, delete them:

• ADEX_KBDR_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KBDR_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KDXR_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KDXR_BVA_CVX.BGL
  • ADEX_KDXR_BVA_SBX.BGL
  • ADEX_KPOU_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KPOU_BVA_CVX.BGL
  • ADEX_KAVP_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KBGM_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KBGM_BVA_CVX.BGL
  • ADEX_KBML_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KBML_BVA_CVX.BGL
  • ADEX_KLCI_BVA.BGL
  • ADEX_KLCI_BVA_CVX.BGL
  • ADEX_KJFK_BVA.BGL

[*]If you have the beta updates released for KACK, KISP, or KPWM installed:

• Delete the following files from FSX's Addon Scenery location; the files are:
    • KACK_BVA.BGL
    • KACK_CVX_BVA.BGL
    • KISP_BVA.BGL
    • KISP_CXV_BVA.BGL
    • KPWM_BVA.BGL
    • KPWM_CVX_BVA.BGL
    • KPWM_VIS_REF_BVA.BGL

[*]If you have previously downloaded either of "Military Bases of BVA" or "Boston Area Hospitals" from our "Optional Software" page:

• Delete the following files; these are included with the new package:
    • Otis ANGB.bgl
    • AFX_0MA1.bgl
    • AFX_0MA4.bgl
    • AFX_16MA.bgl
    • AFX_MA20.bgl
    • Beverly Hosp.bgl
    • Boston Med Ctr.bgl
    • Lawrence Hosp.bgl
    • Mass Gen Hosp.bgl

[*]Install the new Featured Airports Scenery Enhancement

• Run the installer downloaded in Step 1. The automated installer will place all of the necessary scenery files, and then activate the new "BVA_FeaturedAirports" scenery area. If you would prefer to manually install the files, a link to the manual installation is included in the installer.

[*]If you use ORBX's FTX Global Freeware Airport Packs:

After running the installer, you should manually delete the files for the following airports from BVA. You can do so by navigating to the C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XAddon SceneryBVABVA_FeaturedAirportsscenery directory and manually deleting the appropriate files. Some of the airports will have two .BGL files each.

• KPVC
  • KMVY
  • KLCI
  • KBTV
  • KBGR
  • KBDR

Finally, you should navigate to the ORBX FTX Global folder (C:FSXORBXFTX_GLOBALFTX_FTXG_AIRPORTSScenery) and delete the following files:

• ADE_FTX_FTXG_KACK.bgl
  • ADE_FTX_FTXG_KACK_CVX.bgl
    NOTE: LEAVE the file "FTX_FTXG_KACK_objects.bgl" in the directory.

This will ensure that you have the ILS Runway 6 Approach at KACK, but still see the beautiful ORBX terminal and other objects.

And that's it!

The new files are a combination of updates from BVA as well as our external scenery design partners Dihedral Design, Jim Cook, Mike Funk, and Ray Smith. There are a few updates (e.g., KEWR and KLGA) that are not entirely accurate, but represent improvements over the default FSX scenery updates available. Including those updates in the package now will make it easier for us to update them when the time comes.

---

* NOTE: As referenced above, the full list of files from the PREVIOUS version that should be DELETED before installing the new one are:

- ADEX_KPVD_BVA.BGL
- ADEX_KPVD_BVA_CVX.BGL
- AFCAD_V3_README.txt
- AFX_CYMX.bgl
- AFX_CYQB.bgl
- AFX_KABE.bgl
- AFX_KACK.bgl
- AFX_KALB.bgl
- AFX_KAVP.bgl
- AFX_KBDL.bgl
- AFX_KBED.bgl
- AFX_KBGR.bgl
- AFX_KBTV.bgl
- AFX_KBVY.bgl
- AFX_KCQX.bgl
- AFX_KHYA.bgl
- AFX_KISP.bgl
- AFX_KJFK.bgl
- AFX_KMDT.bgl
- AFX_KMHT.bgl
- AFX_KMVY.bgl
- AFX_KPVC.bgl
- AFX_KPWM.bgl
- AFX_KSYR.bgl
- KACK_VIS_REF.bgl
- KPWM_VIS_REF.bgl	

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

I'd like to add huge THANK YOUs to Josh ('jdogiedog') and Andrew ('PG158') for helping create and test the installation instructions for the package. We also need to recognize the great contributions of Pierre ('Pierul') and Dan ('SoloWingDemon'), who did most of the work on the new BVA updates that are included with this package.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Wow! That's a lot of work! Thanks goes to Josh, Andrew, Pierre and Dan! I'll no doubt take you up on the help offer Evan as I'd probably mess something up!

Dave

vafs_status.php?cs=KAP483&clr=128,255,255

signature.php?id=dave483

I'll no doubt take you up on the help offer Evan as I'd probably mess something up!Dave

Please do! I should be online starting around 7:30pm ET, if not a bit earlier.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

You can check the FSX Scenery Library for the new area "BVA_FeaturedAirports". If it's present, then the installer should have done its job. Of course, that doesn't confirm that all of the old files were deleted.

If it's easy, I'm happy to take a quick look around your PC to make sure everything installed correctly. Let me know.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team