Guest Sasha Chemey

Unique Event Idea

Guest Sasha Chemey

A bit of background...I live in Indiana, surrounded by corn (yes, the stereotypes are true). As there seems to be nothing interesting to do 364 days/year (with the other being the Indy 500), we get neglected by most online communities, and rightfully so!

My dad is one of the most senior controllers at KFWA (after working for ZID, Indianapolis Center for a few years), a very nice class Charlie that was an alternate site for the Space Shuttle to land. It is an interesting place to fly into, has three runways (5/23: 12,000ft; 9/27: 4,000ft; 14/32: 8,000ft) and a nice setup. Then, there is KIND, also with three nicely sized runways, and never enough traffic to justify them. Finally, there is KLAF, Purdue University Airport, with two small crossing runways that are perfect for GA flight. I propose that FWA-IND-LAF be a regional event of some sort, whether it's Regional Circuit or some other one of our neat little gimmicks.

If FWA is used, my dad has volunteered to run the TRACON, if it is a time that he is available (something that can be scheduled in advance). He has further stated that he will undergo a conversion session to acclimatize himself to the BVA SOPs and interfaces. Depending on his experience with BVA he may stay as a permanent controller. Any objections?

Guest Brandon Carter

That would be awesome to have another real-world controller on board!

Let's do it!

That sounds good to me as well. I'll put it forward in the next ATC meeting I have this Sunday and we'll get something going. And if your Dad wishes to join as regular ATC, we'll be glad for the help and experience he will bring to the table! Even further, I'd be grateful for any true life help in making our calls and SOPs as realistic as possible. I'll keep this filed in the back of my mind for some other ideas we are working on, definitely!

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford

Sounds like a great idea!

KIND and KFWA would make a good pair of airports for the Regional Circuit, although FWA will probably need a severe makeover from the scenery design team. Another option is to go a General Aviation Fly-in involving FWA, IND, LAF, and one more, maybe GUS, MIE, or AID...or both.

What do you think would work best? Please give me a date (the Rc needs to be on a Tuesday, 8-11pm ET, the Fi should be on a weekend day, but evenings during weekdays will work as well) that works well for one or both events so we can schedule those now.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Sasha Chemey

Dan, I'll show my dad the SOPs from the regular ATC page; any others to look at? Also, sometime moderately soon, he is going to listen in on a session and offer critiques of my controlling; he could probably listen in on another frequency too (someone more senior?) to see if there's anything majorly wrong.

Evan, I'll start working with him on getting a couple dates set up. When do you think the earliest it is worth inquiring about, for the makeover to be complete and such? If I could be included on the beta for FWA's appearance, I could show my dad and he could offer real-life critiques. MIE would be my suggestion for a fourth airport. Personally, I think that FWA and IND makes an ideal combo for RC because of their very long runways for Superheavies and such. If I had my druthers, the RC would be the priority.

A reminder, in case I didn't make this clear: he agrees to this idea in concept, but it all depends on scheduling and if he worked a midnight shift the night before XD Still, he could be a valuable addition, certainly moreso than me XD

We would definitely welcome that. I haven't got any other SOP books ready yet, specifically some documents I am working up for places like New York and Washington Centers, but the general check on our controlling would be nice. We do train to the 7110.65T, and while we do make some exceptions to allow for limitations in the simulator, it should all sound legal. Having some knowing ears to pick out what's still off would be of great help. There are still just some things that can only be learned through proper experience in real life, of that I am convinced.

Dan P.

When do you think the earliest it is worth inquiring about, for the makeover to be complete and such?

From my end, I need 2 weeks' of lead time to set up a Regional Circuit. Dan: how long would you need for a scenery update?

Personally, I think that FWA and IND makes an ideal combo for RC because of their very long runways for Superheavies and such. If I had my druthers, the RC would be the priority

Ok, let's do a FWA/IND Regional Circuit. As I said, give me a date.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

I would like at least a month's notice for an RC event addition. I've got school coming up and with trying to find a job being my only full-time occupation at the moment, I'm not exactly a couch potato with tons of free time.

Dan P.

Guest Sasha Chemey

Alrighty, no prob. How about shooting for Thanksgiving Week, Tuesday? I'll be home for a couple days before, so I can show him TS and FD, and even take him onto the server leading up to the RC. I'm leaving on the 28th for college, so that'd be the first time I was back. After that is better than before, if he is busy that time.

Guest Yun Chase
That would be Tuesday, November 22, then?

That week, I'll be taking my family to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving... and leaving my N2143X parked in the [virtual] hangar... :cry: I wonder if others will be doing the same? :?

Chase makes a good point. We're never going to find a situation that pleases everyone and in this case, holiday travel means Chase will be away from home but it allows Sasha to be home.

Sasha, this is your event and therefore your choice.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Yun Chase
Sasha, this is your event and therefore your choice.

I agree with Evan 100%... Sasha, it is your choice. Don't worry about me. Please have it on Nov 22nd if that works the best for you. :) I should keep in mind that BVATC is a global community and as such, a certain US holiday should not mean it's observed everywhere else. My apologies... :oops:

Guest Sasha Chemey

So life happened and I had to LOA from this for a while...If there's still interest, maybe this could still go on in a few months or a year? The biggest thing is giving me time to talk with my dad about BVA's little habits and modifications. I'd need time for that and college isn't permitting a lot of it.