Guest Lucas Kaelin

Alaska GA Event

Guest Lucas Kaelin

GA Fly-in Alaska

The Inboard Passage

Juneau, Wrangell, Sitka, Ketchikan (PAJN, PAWG, PASI, PAKT)

Even Juneau to Ketchikan is only about 200nm.

Thanks "shyflyguy" ... I take good note of this suggestion for Alaska. :) Looks interesting!

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

The last Alaska Getaway we did was: PANC, PAFA, PADQ, and PAVD. The problem with some of the ones you've mentioned (going from memory here) are that they're uncontrolled...right?

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Lucas Kaelin

Juneau has a tower, and while likely not common in AK (especially for airports that are on islands), the FAA does have mobile temporary towers for use during high traffic special events at normally uncontrolled airports. KBVO has a GA fly-in every year and they draw controllers from both TUL and RVS to the temp tower there. It is a VFR only tower, but still possible. I know most of these are uncontrolled that's why I was thinking a GA fly-in. There's no need for an overlying approach control, and there's nothing wrong with assuming BVA is providing a temporary tower for a special event. Attempting to pick airports in AK that are close enough for any kind of event by BVA rules is incredibly difficult because the majority of airports there are uncontrolled, or are non-continuous class D, and they are usually located quite far apart. I'm not saying it had to be these airports, but the terrain and inside passage provide tons of great scenery and unique flying for VFR aircraft.

Alaska_Panhandle.png

There's no need for an overlying approach control, and there's nothing wrong with assuming BVA is providing a temporary tower for a special event. Attempting to pick airports in AK that are close enough for any kind of event by BVA rules is incredibly difficult because the majority of airports there are uncontrolled, or are non-continuous class D, and they are usually located quite far apart. I'm not saying it had to be these airports, but the terrain and inside passage provide tons of great scenery and unique flying for VFR aircraft.

True -- and agreed -- but how do you manage the taxi instructions when we don't have an airport diagram (that everyone has) to work from?

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Lucas Kaelin

LOL, oh yea didn't consider that. Photoshop can make quick work of a diagram.

"Runway 14 taxi to the midfield turn-off and hold short of runway 14"

"Runway 14 taxi northwest on the ramp then via the (special BVA reinforced) grass"

Or we could have that simply awesome scenery team add a single taxiway parallel to the runway for the airports.

Guest Yun Chase
...I'm not saying it had to be these airports, but the terrain and inside passage provide tons of great scenery and unique flying for VFR aircraft..

I'm curious... wouldn't you find some similar (of course not exact) terrain features in the lower 48? Western states like CO, UT, ID, WA? Or even the Appalachians like TN, NC, VA, WV? I would have to guess that some would be controlled in these areas... I'm just saying... :)

Juneau has a tower, and while likely not common in AK (especially for airports that are on islands), the FAA does have mobile temporary towers for use during high traffic special events at normally uncontrolled airports. KBVO has a GA fly-in every year and they draw controllers from both TUL and RVS to the temp tower there. It is a VFR only tower, but still possible. I know most of these are uncontrolled that's why I was thinking a GA fly-in. There's no need for an overlying approach control, and there's nothing wrong with assuming BVA is providing a temporary tower for a special event. Attempting to pick airports in AK that are close enough for any kind of event by BVA rules is incredibly difficult because the majority of airports there are uncontrolled, or are non-continuous class D, and they are usually located quite far apart. I'm not saying it had to be these airports, but the terrain and inside passage provide tons of great scenery and unique flying for VFR aircraft.

Alaska_Panhandle.png

I personaly would enjoy a VFR session in Alaska as depicted by "shyflyguy's" map (even if we had to set the weather to CAVOK). I am thinking about setting a very short week end Getaway from Friday morning to Sunday night. The MISSION would be to start at any of the earlier mentioned airports (VFR) and merge to Juneau where traffic could be controlled and sequenced to this wonderfully "difficult" approach. Some pilots could request flying IFR departure and approach.

Let's call it our -Mini-Ga- ?? :)

Reference : LDA X RWY 8 - Juneau Int'l and JUNEAU FOUR DEPARTURE

http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/curre ... rwy_08.pdf

http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/curre ... our_dp.pdf

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest Lucas Kaelin

Mountains that end in ocean passage? I think the only other places for that are Hawaii, and maybe SEA/YVR which is probably the closest to get. If you just want mountains, sure you can fly the Appalachians, the Rockies, and there are even controlled airports at some of them. But at an uncontrolled airport the runway is typically narrower, shorter, and sometimes in AK not even pavement. If you look back in the event suggestions you'll find a "Pig Pickin' Getaway" that I suggested involving any of CLT, TYS, AVL, TRI, ROA, RDU, GSP which has never come to fruition. Somewhere there's also a suggestion for some RNO, TVL, SMF, MOD type traffic.

4 Somewhere there's also a suggestion for some RNO, TVL, SMF, MOD type traffic.

Some of those will definitely be featured during the Norcal Getaway.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest stephen harano

There was another thread around some here mentioning a Colorado GA getaway.

start at casper, WY -- KCPR -- (controlled) Direct V611 KCYS (controlled) V361 RLG V361 direct KEGE (controlled) V591 direct KASE (controlled).

cheyenne always has ridiculous winds (typically a 20kt crosswind or higher)

Aspen has a very challenging ILS approach and an even more difficult Missed Approach Route.

Going from cheyenne to Eagle requires some serious VFR navigation or high performance aircraft to travel through the VFR mountain corridors.

This is the real-world route that I use for the mountain checkride. I challenge ANYONE to do this in real world weather conditions with a single engine piston. Bonus points for anyone who can do it in an aircraft under 200hp.

and to answer the question before it gets asked; yes, I am available to instruct mountain flying to those interested for this event.

Guest James Stewart

So your saying flying through the mountain corridors involves, crosswinds/airflow waves, high altitude, the chance of crashing into the side of mountains and sweaty palms while your trying to trim your aircraft and navigate a course that will not lead you to a dead end all in a 172... When we leavin' ?

Guest slayer816

Aspen has a very challenging ILS approach and an even more difficult Missed Approach Route.

I wish it did have an ILS; however it only has an LOC/DME, VOR/DME, and charted visual approaches. The missed approach route involves some back course navigating which would be interesting.

Guest stephen harano
So your saying flying through the mountain corridors involves, crosswinds/airflow waves, high altitude, the chance of crashing into the side of mountains and sweaty palms while your trying to trim your aircraft and navigate a course that will not lead you to a dead end all in a 172... When we leavin' ?

you got it! certainly not for the faint-of-heart

I wish it did have an ILS; however it only has an LOC/DME, VOR/DME, and charted visual approaches. The missed approach route involves some back course navigating which would be interesting.

true statement. Doesn't negate the fact that it's quite challenging and very fun!!