Evan Reiter

BVA's High Five (+30) Event: November 27 - December 3, 2011

HF (+30) Day 1 in the Books!

The FSX Blue Angels kicked off our week-long birthday celebration beautifully during tonight's performance live on our website. The team showed us just why they are some of the best formation fliers on FSX. Think about the frames and lag you get flying one aircraft into KBOS...and now imagine trying to do that with 4 or more other aircraft right beside you! The FSX Blue Angels are always proud to be part of our birthday celebration and we're proud to have them here. I know the members I spoke to were very impressed by what the group was able to do.

We have a great lineup of controllers set up for tomorrow's Pack the Pattern at KBOS, which we're hoping will be one of the most thrilling events of the week. We have a delay program prepared in case our controllers get overworked and backup controllers ready to help out at a moment's notice. Get out there and let's see what our controllers can do!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

We Packed the Pattern during Day 2 of the HF (+30)

BVA's High Five event continued this evening with a successful Pack the Pattern event at KBOS. We had plenty of aircraft flying into, out of, and around Boston all night, including a line of six arrivals on Runway 22L at one point! Both of our Tower and Approach controllers worked hard to make sure the experience was enjoyable for everyone. Meanwhile, I listening to people nail the "cross Runway 15R, hold short Runway 15L" instruction all night. That's more than can be said for a few of the real-world operators that come into and out of Boston!

We continue the event tomrrow night with the Regional Circuit between our favorite citypair, KBOS & KJFK. If you're only going to fly in one Regional Circuit event this year, this should be it. I'm looking forward to some more fun work at KBOS as BOS_T during the event...and seeing everyone there!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

What a Day 3!

Today, we had one of the busiest Regional Circuit events in recent memory. The peak number of flight plans (41) and the images below say more than I ever could:

1.png

2011-11-29_21-56-34-840.BMP

I'd say those define "awesome" quite effectively. I told you that if you were only going to attend one Regional Circuit, this should have been it! Now let's do it all again tomorrow night when we jam the second-busiest airport in Mass. (Nantucket) in Wednesday evening's General Aviation Fly-In from 8-11pm ET.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Cape Cod on Day 4

We fought through some communication problems last night (caused by one of the aircraft on the "no fly" list for multiplayer sessions) but nevertheless managed to have quite a bit of fun on Cape Cod. We had lots of general aviation traffic doing circuits, VFR flights, practice approaches, and a few IFR aircraft as well. The weather cooperated nicely with the rain of previous events subsiding long enough to allow pilots ample visibility during VFR flights.

We continue with our final scheduled event (the Domestic Journey between KDCA and KBOS) and then move on to 30 Hours of ATC starting Friday. The FSX Blue Angels will also be back to kick off 30 Hours of ATC live in our server with a flyover of KBOS at 6pm ET on Friday evening.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Day 5 Domestic Journey

The formal portion of BVA's High Five concluded this evening with a very successful Domestic Journey between KDCA and KBOS. We had more Boeing 747's than KDCA has ever seen in its history night but even still, almost every aircraft flew the NATNL1 departure perfectly, successfully avoiding restricted airspace over the White House. We had a nice line of aircraft enroute as well.

Tomorrow we begin the (+30); we'll be staffing Boston Center continuously from 6pm ET until midnight on Saturday. So fly anytime you want and expect to see at least ZBW (along with several other controllers) along with several other pilots. I know the early AM shift I controlled last time (3-6am on Saturday morning) had more traffic than I've seen in the evenings, and the rest of the event was jam packed. I expect nothing less for this round! You can see staffing details at: http://www.bostonvirtualatc.com/dnn/Hig ... ffing.aspx.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

30 Hours of ATC now Underway!

We've officially launched 30 Hours of ATC a little earlier than we thought; BOS_A, BDL_A, and ZBW_C are currently online.

Our FSX Blue Angels flyover originally scheduled for 6pm ET this evening has been postponed due to darkness and weather, so there will be no flight restrictions around the KBOS area this evening. The flyover has been rescheduled for 1500 ET (3pm) Saturday.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Bill Serra

You can download a movie of the FSX Blue Angles flyover from:

http://www.bostonvirtualatc.com/downloads/vids/fsx_blue_angels.wmv

Two days ago the graphics card on my main PC broke down and the replacement didn’t arrive in time so I had to use an old card which doesn’t support multi-texturing. That explains the jaggedness in the meshes and the visual glitches on the runways.

To compound the bad luck, extreme winds in the area knocked down a Comcast node. The bandwidth was down to 1 mbps and the packet loss rate was around 10%-20%. That’s why the fighters’ updates are so jerky.

But as they say, the show must go on. Imperfect as the movie is, there are some interesting takes I hope you will enjoy.

Bill

I Can't Believe It's Almost Over!

That week went by quickly! It seems much longer than 6 days ago that we kicked off our celebration with the European Tour. And as we move into the final three hours of our 30-Hour ZBW marathon, I'm trying to remember how to control Boston Center after having spent my week everywhere but! While I wasn't online to witness it, we had a busy night last night, including multiple arrivals lined up on the Light Visual Runway 33L Approach and aircraft holding short to depart on Runway 15R. Oh night ops... The ZBW marathon comes to a close in about two hours as we come full circle: Dan started the event at 6pm ET yesterday and will be wrapping things up tonight.

Thanks go out to everyone that participated, pilots and controllers, in this fantastic week-long celebration. We should also thank the FSX Blue Angels for two incredible performances that helped us celebrate our fifth year.

Things return back to normal (read: no more annoying e-mails from me every single day) tomorrow, and our next event features KPHX & KTUS (a request from Drmrboy29) on Tuesday. If you're around tomorrow night, I'll be on ZBW and working with a trainee on BOS_G.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team