Christopher Murphy

Southern Tier RC or Fly-in

The Southern Tier of New York is a great place for flying (partially biased due to living situation ;) ), and it'd be great to feature some regional airports such as Binghamton (KBGM), Ithica (KITH), Elmira (KELM), or Scranton (KAVP). I think would be a great oppertunity to do some fun controlling and flying at regional class charlie airports in ZNY! Thoughts?

Guest Lucas Kaelin

When I think of the Finger Lakes, it's always that triad of ITH ELM BGM, and brings back memories from working PDT dispatch. I've not done much flying up there but hear it's quite a pretty area. So with that in mind, my idea turns the triangle into a box.

KELM KIPT KAVP KBGM

Either a VFR challenge event, navigation through woodlands without many roads/rivers to follow.

OR a GA Fly-in with those same airports.

The reason I changed ITH to IPT is because it adds a little length, making it better for an event. 4 legs add up to about 200nm, almost average 50nm/leg too. This is the ballpark figure for figuring an RC event, not to include the return. So 200nm round trip would be about 1/2 the usual RC, although a GA Fly-in usually doesn't have the high speed jets of the RC. While IPT isn't the TRSA airspace the others are (not C), it makes a nice change of pace to have a simple VFR tower in the middle of things, especially for those who like to play in the pattern.

When I saw the thread title I was thinking more extreme, as in the ant-arctic. There are enough airfields, but it's not a good RC spot since none of the fields are controlled (that I know of) but nav across that blank white surface is a real test of skill.

Thanks!

Tom G.

Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.

https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim

Guest Lucas Kaelin
When I saw the thread title I was thinking more extreme, as in the ant-arctic. There are enough airfields, but it's not a good RC spot since none of the fields are controlled (that I know of) but nav across that blank white surface is a real test of skill.

Actually the big field is controlled, an up/down so to say. Actually approach is run from a trailer nearby the tower. One of the controllers I work with at TUL got his first CTO there!

You picked the one week I'm away...any chance for the week after? I don't mean to be annoying but I really would like to fly/control this one.

Sure, so we should do August 12?

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

We should be good for August 12; some of the event materials will be updated with the new date tonight. The event features KROC, KELM, KBGM, and KITH.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Ready for the event? I can't wait! The Southern Tier's Binghamton is my home airport, home to Link Simulaton (or used to be http://www.link.com/history.html). I hope you all enjoy the rolling hills and the "sunlight reflecting off the finger lakes."

For those who aren't interested in specific weather listed below...there's a good chance for VFR, but isolated Thunderstorms are a possibility as well as terrain obscuration. In real life, the charateristics of the surrounding terrain would make flying difficult, but fsx nicely clears that up for us! :lol: .

See you there! 3-6 pm

[quote author=NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1001 AM EDT SUN AUG 12 2012].NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

10 AM UPDATE...SATELLITE SHOWS STRATO CU DECK ACROSS MUCH OF THE

FORECAST AREA EXCEPT THE WESTERN CATSKILLS, WYOMING VALLEY AND

POCONOS. DUE TO LOW LEVEL MOISTURE AND INSTABILITY MUCH OF THE

AREA WILL SEE MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES THIS AFTERNOON ALONG WITH THE

CHC FOR A SHOWER. MODEL SOUNDINGS AND 12Z RAOBS INDICATE A MID

LEVEL WARM LAYER WHICH LIMITS CAPE TO JUST 200-300 J/KG. BASED ON

THIS WILL CONTINUE WITH JUST THE MENTION OF SHOWERS. MAX TEMPS

WILL GENERALLY RANGE IN THE MID 70S TO AROUND 80 WITH THE WARMEST

READINGS ACROSS THE FAR SE.

PREVIOUS DISC...

CONTINUING TO FOLLOW AN AREA OF LOW STRATUS ON IR SATELLITE THIS

MORNING. MESOSCALE MODELS ARE NOW HANDLING THESE CLOUDS BETTER,

AND THEY SPREAD THE STRATUS UP THE LAKE PLAIN TOWARD SYR/RME

BETWEEN 9Z AND 11Z.

HEATING AND MIXING WILL BREAK UP THE STRATUS BY MID/LATE MORNING.

THEREAFTER A SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUD COVER IS FORECAST

TO REMAIN OVER THE FORECAST AREA.

PRESENCE OF UL TROF JUST TO OUR NORTH WILL ALLOW A POCKET OF MID

LEVEL COOL AIR TO DIP DOWN ACROSS LAKE ONTARIO THIS AFTERNOON.

THIS WILL ALLOW FOR JUST ENOUGH INSTABILITY TO SUPPORT ISOLATED LATE

AFTERNOON SHOWERS.

BL-850 TEMPS SUGGEST NEAR NORMAL MAXES FOR THIS AFTERNOON, MAINLY

IN THE UPPER 70S TO LOWER 80S. DRY AIR ADVECTION OVERNIGHT WILL

LOWER DEW POINTS AND ALLOW MINS TO FALL INTO THE MID 50S TO AROUND 60.