Evan Reiter

IFR Procedures Challenge: KHLN, February 28, 8-10pm ET

I wanted to let our forum regulars know that our next Challenge event features Helena (KHLN) from 8-10pm ET on Thursday, February 28. The event is all about flying IFR procedures correctly. In a "Pack The Pattern" format, pilots will fly the Helena Three (or Divide 1) departure procedures (pull the chart and you'll see why), and then are encouraged to try some of the more unique approaches into the airport (how does a nice LOC/DME BC-C approach sound?) or even a few laps in a holding pattern. We'll be doing the event in real-world weather but it's a great opportunity to practice instrument flying in a busy environment with full ATC coverage.

http://www.bostonvirtualatc.com/Events/Challenge.aspx

In what is clearly a failed attempt at keeping the content on the page short, you'll notice we've summarized flying the departure procedure correctly but haven't gone into much detail about tracking VOR radials (required to fly the DP) or flying non-precision approaches. Instead, we're hoping pilots with questions about flying the procedure or using non-GPS navigation will check out the Pilot Ratings Program flights applicable to those subjects or post their questions here.

If you've ever been afraid of filing a complicated SID, don't like NY airports because you don't know when to make that turn to join the CRI VOR radial, or just want some extra practice in a more relaxed environment, controllers during the Challenge will be on hand to help you with any questions you have and can give you feedback on your performance flying the departure procedure. It's a great opportunity for new members who aren't familiar with IFR flying or regulars who just want a little more practice without the help of an FMC or GPS.

Looking forward to another fun event!

PS/EDIT: If you can think of any fun/complex departure procedures or instrument approaches that you'd like featured during a similar event, feel free to post those here as well. I think this concept will be one of the regular Challenge features, like our Bad Weather Regional Circuit, VFR events, or the SFRA Challenge.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Max Enis

So who's excited for this event?!? I wish I could make it so badly, darn school! :oops:

Well the A-TEAM is going to make it even more enjoyable to for the Pilots!

If you've ever been afraid of filing a complicated SID, don't like NY airports because you don't know when to make that turn to join the CRI VOR radial, or just want some extra practice in a more relaxed environment, controllers during the Challenge will be on hand to help you with any questions you have and can give you feedback on your performance flying the departure procedure. It's a great opportunity for new members who aren't familiar with IFR flying or regulars who just want a little more practice without the help of an FMC or GPS.

Not only is going to be a relaxed event environment, but we are going to get our pilots even more prepared.

Introducing The Pilot Briefing Session

This will be the perfect time to :

-- Learn a little bit about VOR Navigation (If you are not already familiar)

-- Get tricks and tips from BVA's most experienced pilots

-- Understand more about VOR's and how they work

-- Learn the Procedures inside and out, and get step by step instructions on how to fly them

-- Learn the appropriate thing to do in case something doesn't go as planned

-- And most of all ASK QUESTIONS. This is going to be the perfect time to ask any question you may have about anything related to this event in anyway.

The meeting will be chaired by me (Ameri767300 or Max) along with a few other highly experienced, friendly, and willing to assist - type members.

WHEN? The meeting will be from 7pm to 8pm EST on Wednesday February 28th. (Feel free to join the server whenever you can.

WHERE? On Boston Virtual ATC's "Office Hours" TeamSpeak Channel. (See instructions below to connect)

How do I connect?

Use the Following Credentials:

Nickname: BVA Username - First Name (SoloWingDemon - Dan)

IP Address: teamspeak.bostonvirtualatc.com

Port: 9989

Server Password: OfficeHours!

What Should I bring?

-- The "Helena 4" Departure Procedure Chart ( http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1302/00192HELENA.PDF ) Visible and ready to refer to

-- Questions (if you have them)

-- And of course yourself!

Thanks everyone and I look forward to see you all Wednesday Night!

Guest Max Enis

Thanks to everyone that participated in the Event! It was a great learning experience and a great time for the controller to get to know the pilots better! We plan on having an event similar to this one soon! (Another with a Pilot Briefing Session)

Thanks again everyone!