Guest Robert May

Gliders on BVA?!

Guest Robert May

Hello everyone,

Would anyone be interested in taking part in a gliding event?

There are many exiting gliders available on "www.fsgliders.de" for free, and on "www.luerkens.homepage.t-online.de/peter" you can download a free tool for winch-launching.

Several airfields would be possible for the event:

Sterling 3B3; Cape Cod 2B1; Danielson 5B3 and Spencer 60M

The plan is to fly patterns at one of the fields and maybe try to thermal our way up.

As gliders usually fly very close together in proximity of the airport, it should be a lot of fun! (Be prepared to fly in close formation with other pilots during your approaches)

It's also the perfect opportunity to get a feel for when to turn and where to, and, as you don't have an engine to worry about, you can concentrate on basic stick and rudder skills.

Please let me know what you think of the idea.

Happy landings to all of you!

Sounds like a fun time! Sorry I can't be around this weekend (will be out of town without FS stuff).

Friendly reminder that if you are flying gliders, please do not use the FSX towplanes. Motorized gliders, winch-launching, or using the Map to get yourself airborne are all fine.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Robert May

thanks for the reminder, evan.

towplanes are not gonna happen. don't worry

Thanks for suggesting this wonderful idea! :)

Please announce your GLIDER FLIGHTS in the http://www.bostonvirtualatc.com/AllMembers/PilotTimetable.aspx ... It will surely attract interested pilots, one of which I am.

I've been praticing this morning in California at "O28", between two mountain ranges, testing varied options in free flight.

I would suggest that you identify ONE airport that can become a hang out (pardon the pun) for our glider pilots, so they will gather there for training, and UNICOM FUN.

With good procedures, glider flying, might become part of a very enjoyable event in the future, and also appeal to the ATC guys ... so they get familiar controlling those "liberty birds"! :D

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest Robert May

Although there was no meetup this weekend, I will still be available if anyone wants to fly gliders.

I'll gladly teach everyone the basics...just ask me (PM me on FlightDesk when I'm online or write me on the forum).

If I can get enough pilots together, there will be an other attempt to organize a small event.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys online.

Guest Robert May

That's a pretty nice video. It must be amazing to land that thing on your own feet. It looks bizzare because it seems so much more like an actual airplane then the hanggliders.

Take this in return: [youtube:n6mlbpq9]

[/youtube:n6mlbpq9]
That's a pretty nice video. It must be amazing to land that thing on your own feet. It looks bizzare because it seems so much more like an actual airplane then the hanggliders.

Take this VIDEO in return...

Thank you so much, that's ridge gliding spirit... at it's best! ;)

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008