Guest Nathan McGuire

Bayou Getaway?

Guest Nathan McGuire

So I already proposed this on the BVA facebook page, but why not a Bayou Getaway? The featured airports would be KMSY (New Orleans- Armstrong), KNEW (New Orleans- Lakefront), KGPT (Gulfport-Biloxi), and KBTR (Baton Rouge). The event would be southern/cajun themed and could be held during mardi gras week. It would feature the interesting visual to 36L at New Orleans Lakefront and the ever exciting 19 approach where you fly alongside a 25 mile bridge and land over an elevated freeway. Any thoughts?

Sounds like an interesting idea to me (without having looked at the area in any detail). I think our next Getaway is already planned but we can definitely look into this one for the future.

Any others find this airspace and airport combination interesting?

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

I haven't looked at the charts either, but he made it sound intresting. We would need a scenery update incluiding that, but I think the scenery team can pull it off. It's also near the water, so maybe we can have an event or something including water planes.

Interesting area! - The BAYOU GETAWAY idea has been added to the Event Director's NOTEPAD.

Please comment and send your thoughts about this suggestion. Please also Check information about the actual Mardi Gras schedules at http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardi-gras-2013.html

quote from website: Mardi Gras, or "Fat Tuesday", is the last day of the Carnival season as it always falls the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Most visitors will plan to arrive no later than Saturday, February 9, 2013 in order to enjoy an extended weekend of festivities.

Future Mardi Gras Dates

February 12, 2013

March 4, 2014

February 17, 2015

In 2013 we do have the Flight Sim Com event which is taking place just at the end of the Southeast Getaway. Next year we should hold this Mardi Gras Event... so, "Vive la Louisiane!"

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest Joseph Marcoux

I've been flying down there in the last few months for another project and it's a pretty nice place to go. As for the seaplane bases, Port Sulphur and Grand Isle are really nice to go out of. Grand Isle is a bit of a pain to find when only using VFR to get to the actual "runway" though. Definitely be worth looking into more

Guest John Girard

Laissez les bon temps rouller! By the way, you Canadians can take at least some credit for Cajun Country as the original settlers were Acadians - hence, "Cajun".

Guest Nathan McGuire

It could also be converted to a fly-in since if it was a getaway that would mean three getaways in three months (Aspen, Bayou, and Southest).