Gilles Lagace

Challenge the Event Director

Dear Pilot members (and controllers), please answer this question to help our staff create new Challenge Events that will surely please you! ;)

“What aviation or procedural skills would you like to see featured in an upcoming Challenge?”

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest Josh Watson

Airspace navigation, NY SFRA ( Skyline Route)

Guest Nathan McGuire

or LAHSO operations. For Example, at PHOG (Kahului, Maui) "Wind 030 at 11 runway 2 clear to land, hold short of runway 5"

Guest Lucas Kaelin

/U nav on V airways... all fixes must use a crossing radial, no DME! Compulsory reporting on certain fixes to center, and grade on distance from fix!

Guest Collin Perry

Similar to a pack the pattern except make the weather bad and no ILS approaches. Only non-precision approaches.

Guest george bruton

I would vote up all the suggestions above. Each one is a great idea and provides a CHALLENGE.

When I think of a challenge event I think it should be something that makes you have to work outside you're typical scope and flying style.

I think the ultimate event would be the combination of all the suggestions into one.

Flying tracking VOR's only. No GPS. / In 5/5 IMC weather with a non precision approach with land and hold short opps. in effect. So many skill sets that need to be in place it will help you learn or get better at something you do not try that often.

Perhaps if the challenge is in fact to challenging for some users you can attempt one or all of the challenges within a challenge? Example being maybe you fly with GPS but attempt a non precision approach and hold short?

Great ideas from Great people ... thanks for continuing to express what you like most about future Challenges. Every single idea will be taken into account, in the Event Director's NOTEPAD! :ugeek:

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest Lucas Kaelin

While not typically encouraged by the FAA, or sane pilots, what about a scud run? Set the weather to barely marginal, and force everyone to fly and navigate VFR.

While not typically encouraged by the FAA, or sane pilots, what about a scud run? Set the weather to barely marginal, and force everyone to fly and navigate VFR.

I recently did this with a friend from KLOU to 8D4. We are mostly sane. We did have two iPads with GPS and ADSB on board. He was selling his plane to a guy up in Michigan and he invited me to tag along with him up there to deliver the plane, then drive a rental back. We were below 3000 AGL the whole way, and only used Flight Following to get through the KAZO and KGRR airspace. Ceilings were around 4500' and the temperature was 15F, with lots of little snow showers we got to dart between. It was an absolute blast. But COLD! Wagoneer Sportsman 2X2 with no heat in that cold temps... good thing we are both big guys, our body heat helped. I'd enjoy seeing an event like this in BVA occasionally. Would be a fun challenge.

Signature.php?BVAUsername=Chinookfixer

ServiceSig_zpsa35cec73.png

Guest Jordan Koulov

It may have already been done, but how about simulating the special procedures at Oshkosh or Sun n Fun?

Rock your wings and land on the green dot...

Guest Joseph Marcoux
It may have already been done, but how about simulating the special procedures at Oshkosh or Sun n Fun?

Rock your wings and land on the green dot...

I've been to Oshkosh many times. The EAA week they hold there is awesome and a load of fun for would-be/certified pilots. Only seen pictures and heard about Sun N Fun but that's still on my list of things to do. I think Oshkosh would be great for like a GA fly-in or something