M. B. Ingersoll

Reg Circuit TJSJ TNCM

Departed Anagada (BVI) VFR for GUYRO and A638 inbound to TNCM. Called to pick up my IFR from Juliana Approach but he was pretty busy so I bored a couple holes. Called Approach again and got my IFR. Inbound on the airway, listening to Approach, I realized the east runway at TNCM was now 10 - all my charts showed 9 (IOW all my printed stuff was outdated). Scrambled to print a new AD and the first VOR SIAP I could get and corrected my approach request with Approach. Then realized the VOR Z RWY 10 would be much better so I asked for that and got it. Very accommodating was Approach! Turning inbound at ULUBA, I was switched to Tower where I was number three for the airport. And then it started...

My computer lagged SO badly, I was getting 1 to 2 FPS and the audio was "stuttering." I was essentially deaf and blind by the time I was short final. I had to go around. I could barely copy Tower as he tried to give me a heading and altitude but I finally got it while I continued shutting down any/all non-essential programs. After a few minutes of droning along over the ocean with approach, I got vectors back to the FAC for the VOR Z and had an uneventful landing (with 27% fuel remaining).

Excellent service although I know I was a royal pain there on final and on the go around. Appreciate the good work, BVA ATCs!

----M B Ingersoll

----FAA Retired

----ZFW 1984-2008

----USAF 1973-1983

Excellent service although I know I was a royal pain there on final and on the go around. Appreciate the good work, BVA ATCs!

Not a pain at all! We had fun trying to coordinate the go around and guessing at which parts of our transmissions got through!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Greg Gott

So I see a VOR Z RNWY10 approach is mentioned and last night I was offered an instrument approach, but neither Skyvectors nor AirNav shows any such approaches for TNCM. So wondering where this chart might be?

Great fun last night and thanks to all controllers and pilots. I circled out over GOUDA a couple times watching and listening. Julianna approach was real busy (excellent job)and the traffic around the airport was amazing to see on the FSC screen.

Thanks again and see you at the next event.

Greg

So I see a VOR Z RNWY10 approach is mentioned and last night I was offered an instrument approach, but neither Skyvectors nor AirNav shows any such approaches for TNCM. So wondering where this chart might be?

Non-U.S. airports won't have approach plates (or charts) published on the standard sources like SkyVector or AirNav. Sources for international charts vary in quality and comprehensiveness as few other governments are as good as the U.S. about making their charts freely available to the public.

For TNCM, you can find the chart on BVA's application: www.bostonvirtualatc.com/charts.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Greg Gott

This place has so many cool secrets...thanks for the link!