Evan Reiter

Cross-Community Flight: msFlights.net, June 21, 3pm ET

Boston Virtual ATC is pleased to be participating once again in the Cross-Community Flight (CCF), this time hosted by msFlights.net.

As you may remember, BVA hosted the last CCF in which the record for attendance in a multiplayer server was broken! We look forward to seeing our members out in full force once again to represent our community well.

As always, Cross Community Flights are not so much about the flight itself, but about the opportunity to come together with fellow aviation simulation enthusiasts who use FSX multiplayer to discuss topics like add-ons, simulation platforms, and different FSX communities. To facilitate conversation, this is a pilot-only event (ATC will not be provided at any of the controlled airports). Please connect to the msFlights.net TeamSpeak server by 3pm ET this Saturday to participate!

Date: Saturday, June 21

Time: 3pm ET (begin connecting at 2pm ET)

TeamSpeak Server (no password): msflights.ts.nfoservers.com

FSX Server (no password): 23.255.207.47 (fly default Douglas DC-3)

For more information, please visit the FSX Beyond GameSpy forums: http://www.fsxbeyondgamespy.com/forums/ ... p?f=4&t=68.

I look forward to joining you in the msFlights.net TeamSpeak server on Saturday!

2013-12-14_21-35-16-400.jpg

Photo Credit: FSX Beyond GameSpy user 'Düsselwings' - http://www.fsxbeyondgamespy.com/forums/ ... p=182#p182

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Nathan McGuire

The default Douglas DC-3? We're gonna party like it's 1947....

DC-3? Really?

Is it a hard requirement?

See ... I have a real license ... and ... *gulp* ... I kinda don't have a ... *gulp* ... tail-dragger endorsement. And I don't think I can secure it before the 21st. :lol:

Signature.php?BVAUsername=BigBadLouvafs_status.php?cs=KAP895&clr=128,255,128

Who the heck picks these aircraft for use? DC-3? Is that even USED anymore in single player?

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford

I presume the hosts (msFlights.net) decided on the type of aircraft. I think it'll be fun...and obviously nobody will be well-versed in flying it so it'll be really fun! Ultimately, these events end up being more about the conversations than the flying. And don't worry, nobody's going to judge!

Incidentally, it's a little funny and totally coincidental that I just talked about this aircraft during a presentation at Flight SimCon. For those who were there and/or have seen it -- I promise this is a total coincidence and was NOT planned!

By the way, the flight plan was just posted:

Flight Plan:

Starting Airport: PHKO

Hops: PHOG, PHNL, PHLI

Ending Airport: PHLI

http://skyvector.com/?ll=20.27250324079577,-156.59774780135416&chart=301&zoom=5&plan=A.PH.PHKO%20:A.PH.PHOG:A.PH.PHNL:A.PH.PHLI

Aircraft Requirements: All participants MUST fly the FSX Default Douglas DC-3.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Maybe a silly question but is TeamSpeak required for air traffic control or is it merely optional for pilot chit-chat?

The flight plan looks great, it will be an exciting trip! Now to go look up the V-speeds for a stock DC-3 ...

There is no ATC during these types of flights (purpose is more social than operational...so it's a bit different than what you might see on our server on a regular basis). TeamSpeak is used for the chit-chat between pilots.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

So standard CTAF rules apply to each airport then, I assume?

(sorry for the silly questions but it's better to ask then assume wrong)

Thanks

Lou

So standard CTAF rules apply to each airport then, I assume?

(sorry for the silly questions but it's better to ask then assume wrong)

Thanks

Lou

Basically, all the aircraft land at the same time. Nobody bothers making traffic calls, at least they didn't in #2 when I flew.

This is a post 'Mulderpilot13' made on the FSX Beyond Gamespy Forums updating some information. Evan and I will be re-posting new information as it comes our way.

UPDATE:

We are less than a week away from Cross-Community Flight #4 (Saturday, June 21st)!

The flight plan has been made by WarHawK, and is as follows:

Starting at: PHKO

Stopping at: PHOG > PHNL > PHLI

Destination: PHLI

We will be gathering at 3pm in the msFlights.net TeamSpeak Server (msflights.ts.nfoservers.com).

Explanation of a Cross-Community Flight:

"Cross Community Flights are not so much about the flight itself, but the coming together with our fellow aviation simulation enthusiasts to discuss topics and matters at hand that are affecting us here and now, as well as what have our eyes set on in the future. Topics include new simulation developments ranging from aircraft to scenery, to simulation platforms, as well as community health and participation."

We request that you set your name like this, as we have always had it this way: "[Your Community] ~ [Your Username]". Ex: "MSF~ Mulderpilot13"

I hope to see as many of you there as possible! Happy Flying! (More info on this flight throughout this week, leading up to the flight)

Mulderpilot13

Guest Ben Eidem

I know the basics of the DC3. In fact, I acted as head navigator for a multiplayer community which had weekly group DC3 hops about 2 or 3 years ago. This should be fun!

Sorry, guys, I was really looking fwd to this event but had to miss it.

How was it? Anybody got pictures? Is anybody putting together maybe a video?

I wish I could have participated from my sim setup in air/conditioning but instead I ended up outside today, in 95 degrees on a half sunny day and with some cool toys. :)

image.jpg[/attachment:3khotgnp]

Lots of fun! The DC-3 was actually much more enjoyable to fly than I thought it would be. For a default FSX aircraft, it feels like Microsoft did quite a good job of modelling the plan while keeping it simple enough for someone who doesn't know the first thing about flying a taildragger to use.

xp77t3.png

2qio3lj.png

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team