Evan Reiter

Major Forum Update

As you have likely noticed, our forums received a major update today to the latest version of phpBB. Along with an entirely new and cleaner look, there are a number of new options available for our members.

Amongst other changes, you will likely notice a more intuitive menu system, responsive design, easier access to common links, and more logical menus for notifications and private messages.

Please take a few minutes to look around the new board and, as always, let us know if you have any questions about the new functionality or notice an issue with the upgrade. phpBB is highly customizable so if there is something about the new template that doesn't appeal to you, there's a good chance it can be updated.

There are a few things we suggest you explore as part of the new User Control Panel. You can access it by clicking on the 'person' icon at the top right, then selecting the "User Control Panel" menu:

18wAKV5.png

Once in the User Control Panel:

1. [*]Click Profile, and update your information, signature, avatar, and anything else you would like to include.

[*]Under Board Preferences, set your timezone. Also, select your preference under "My board style" and choose from either the "White" or "Blue" theme.

[*]Click the "edit notification options" menu on the left. The new notifications system allows for email or online notifications for a much broader variety of events.

[sizeimg=800:942yzwjy]http://i.imgur.com/2G578jV.png[/sizeimg:942yzwjy]

You may also notice that we have swapped the order of the buttons on the "Post a new topic" screen to better align them with other phpBB boards out there. This can be swapped back if people prefer having the "Submit" button on the left.

This phpBB style ('basic') was developed by Arty. We are also using the American English Language Pack, developed and copyrighted by Maël Soucaze.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Lucas Kaelin

Initially not a fan, but mostly because of the color scheme. Too much white makes it hard on the eyes. I like the light grey/blue that we previously had.

Unfortunately, the old blue style that we used isn't as compatible with this latest version of the forums. It's still usable, but it no longer takes up the full page width, meaning that the forums aren't as easy to read when using a device with a large monitor.

I personally like the new colors; I think the white looks cleaner. That being said, we're certainly open to changing the color scheme. I tried a few different things earlier today but couldn't figure out anything I liked. I can keep trying to play around with it over the next few days to see if there's something that works a bit better.

Another option would be to have the old style as an option for people who would prefer that color scheme (and want to live with a slightly less responsive design).

How are others feeling about the colors? So far, it seems like most people dislike them.

Normally, we would try to "preview" the new style to get feedback and make changes before doing the update. However, none of us is an expert on phpBB and we don't have the resources or time to create a separate "demo" platform. Any other changes we make, we'll have to "do it live".

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Personally, I really like the new colours and format. I just tested the page on all my monitors, and I personally have no issue reading it despite the light colour. I think this new design is, like Evan said, cleaner and more modern in appearance.

Ultimately though the colour and format of the forums make no impact on my life, therefore I may possibly be open to anything.

Thanks to all the people who spent time and still are working on this project!

My bet is that your fixed width issue is a simple HTML/CSS fix. See here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... prosilver/.

That might not be the specific issue, but it's probably close. The old theme is still considered the default for phpBB, so it's definitely compatible and supported. It's more likely that we were running an older version that requires its own update or at worst a few custom mods.

Is there any way to modify the breadcrumb? The Boston Virtual ATC link on the left is driving me crazy. I keep clicking it thinking that it will take me to the forum homepage, but I get the website homepage instead.

The Idiot's Guide to Forum Signatures:

My Name >> Phil ('Ferrari308guy') | [email protected] << Click To Talk To Me

Inspiration for the Uninspired >> “It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.”

Oh, you're still reading my signature? Then try these amazing time-wasting activities >> You know you want to click these links...

Demotivators

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU

My bet is that your fixed width issue is a simple HTML/CSS fix. See here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... prosilver/.

The width is a fixed with by default. I'd like to make it NOT be a fixed width but rather fill the screen. We tried changing those exact values to "auto" but it still didn't span the page.

That might not be the specific issue, but it's probably close. The old theme is still considered the default for phpBB, so it's definitely compatible and supported. It's more likely that we were running an older version that requires its own update or at worst a few custom mods.

We tried the prosilver theme on the FSX Multiplayer website and thought it looked horrible. However, the beauty of this new update is that you can make your own style choices.

For most existing users, the old style ('BVA_Blue') will now be the default. If you wish to update to the new one, navigate to Control Panel > Board preferences, select "My board style", and choose from either the old template ("BVA_Blue") or the new template ("BVA_White").

For new users, "BVA_White" will be the default template (but it can easily be changed as I just described).

If the width issue doesn't bother you, then you're welcome to use the old style.

Is there any way to modify the breadcrumb? The Boston Virtual ATC link on the left is driving me crazy. I keep clicking it thinking that it will take me to the forum homepage, but I get the website homepage instead.

Of course it's possible. However, I really like having that link there. I think that eventually we'll get used to it. It's been annoying for me as well, but after a few times I'm figuring it out. I think ultimately it will be nice to have breadcrumbs that make more logical sense for new members that shows where they are (e.g., on the website, then the forums, and then where in the forums).

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest slayer816

I kinda like it. I just hate change. But the colors, check spelling dodge, are perfect for the iPad/phone browsing.

Guest Daniel Kofman
But the colors, check spelling dodge, are perfect for the iPad/phone browsing.

+1. #Merica

I kinda like it. I just hate change. But the colors, check spelling dodge, are perfect for the iPad/phone browsing.

If you do want to change back to the old, blue style, navigate to User Control Panel > Board preferences, select "My board style", and choose the old template ("BVA_Blue").

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

If you do want to change back to the old, blue style, navigate to User Control Panel > Board preferences, select "My board style", and choose the old template ("BVA_Blue").

THANK YOU!!! :D

Thanks!

Tom G.

Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.

https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim