Guest Dana Atwood

Logan and Barnstable Field-Trip

Guest Dana Atwood

Okay, I know this is a crazy idea, but have you guys ever hosted a real-life field-trip to Logan or Barnstable? Boston is a great place to visit in the summer anyway, but a visit to the tower at Logan or to Cape Air at Barnstable would be a blast. I come down every summer to visit my sisters (we grew up down that way) and to visit college friends, so I'll be in the neighborhood. I bet a bunch of us would be willing to make the trek if we could coordinate a visit to the Logan tower or to Barnstable (and, except for the traffic, Cape Cod is a great place to visit in the summer, too). Okay, that's my crazy idea. Thoughts? -- Dana

Guest Kevin Wojtanek

That would be a cool thing to do but from what I've heard they are no longer allowing non-FAA personnel into the towers anymore. My dad's girlfriend is a former USAF ATC with friends that work at KBOS_TWR ( I believe it's KBOS or maybe KBDL) and her friends said she wasn't allowed to enter the tower when she wanted to visit them due to the incident at KJFK.

Guest Brandon Carter
she wasn't allowed to enter the tower when she wanted to visit them due to the incident at KJFK.

I had always thought that a trip to the tower can be arranged with a phone call prior to the visit.

Maybe there was some type of a rule implemented immediately following the Kennedy incident? I'm not sure.

Guest Dana Atwood

I'm crazy busy right now with end-of-the-year stuff at school, but I should have some time next week to do some research on a tower visit. I know that incident at JFK might nix this kind of visit, but you never know. Also, I bet Cape Air would be willing to host a field trip (especially considering their crazy MOCHA mission...well, we're not really customers but...). Before I do some homework on this, do any of you guys have connections at either place? Or, the obvious question, are any of you real-life controllers who might have an in with the RW community? Okay, just keeping this idea going. -- Dana (aka the newbie)

p.s. Hey, I'll see you guys tomorrow night for the KBOS/KBTV RC...looking forward to it.

I know that one of BVA's members (RangerTJSC, the President of Cape Air Virtual) went on a tour of the facility and spoke with a few of the real-world Cape Air's executives. They seemed excited about our VA version of Cape Air and, from what I understand, were very accommodating.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Zachary Boivin

Tours are allowed again as long as the facility has an approved security plan... which just about every facility has. I don't know how accommodating they are at a real busy facility, but we have tours about once a week or so. Just call any of their public numbers. They can usually hook you up. If you can't find a number or a contact, let me know.