Guest Yun Chase

SIDs and STARs

Guest Yun Chase

Hi Staff,

Would it be possible to specify SIDs in the textual flight plans (ie. in the email announcement) if they will be applied in the clearances? STARs would be nice to know for planning purposes as well. For instance, the flight plan from KEWR to KPHL was:

SBJ V30 ETX V29 PTW

In pre-flight planning, I always try to look through all of the SIDs on AirNav but don't know what happened but I somehow missed Liberty1 SID. If that was specifed in the textual flt plan as in:

LIBERTY1 SBJ V30 ETX V29 PTW

For me at least, it would be extremely helpful and it would save me quite a bt of time ... I'm sure for other pilots as well.

Otherwise, it was another fun event last night! Many thanks to NY TRACON for his radar service for my flight down the Hudson River Corridor from Teterboro...

Thank you for listening. :D

Chase

Guest Brandon Carter

These departures are ATC-assigned as opposed to RNAV (pilot nav). Out of Boston, a pilot does not need to file "LOGAN4 DRUNK V141 ACK" as the Clearance Delivery controller should assign the Logan4 departure to every aircraft, even if it was not filed in the flight plan.

However, I don't think it would hurt to add it on the events page for planning purposes.

Guest Yun Chase

Good point. Thanks Brandon for clarifying on what is necessary to file... :)

I admit, I wasn't very clear on my request... But my main concern was to simply inform pilots that are not very familiar with those airports on what SIDs and STARs will be expected/assigned. (So that we can properly prepare for the flight...) Like you said, if you guys can indicate which SIDs/STARs will be assigned on the events page/popup-window/mass-email, that would be wonderful. :D

Thanks,

Chase

That's mostly (but not always) possible. For example, at KBOS, depending on the runway configuration, any of the LOGAN4, WYLYY7, or SSOXS1 might be used for someone departing to the south| this isn't something that would be known until the event starts because they vary based on the configuration of the airport. However, in most cases, there's one departure procedure that will be used, and in those cases, I will definitely add the SIDs/STARs to the textual preferred routes.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

A popular SID is any that has the airport name in it:

Logan 4

Bradley 8

Newark 8

Portland 4

If you learn/have any one SID, make it these, as they are the best to have.

Erik VanderWerf

Occasional Flyer

Programmer

Guest Yun Chase

Newark 8

Popular perhaps... but I believe Liberty1 was assigned for most everyone departing KEWR last night... :D

And I got burned for not doing my homework before the Clearance Delivery... :oops:

But thanks for the info though... :D

Chase

Logan 4

Bradley 8

Newark 8

Portland 4

If you learn/have any one SID, make it these, as they are the best to have.

It's not always the airport name which denotes a supposed "popular" SID. i.e. Newark-Liberty International has the standard Liberty 1. The Newark 8 is somewhat more complicated for pilots to fly.

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford