Guest Max Enis

Pack the Pattern at KLGA

Guest Max Enis

Hi All,

I was doing some plane spotting at KLGA today and i thought it would be the perfect place for a PP. Its a pretty small aiport, only 2 7000ft Runways that intersect.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1102/00289AD.PDF

I thought since it is so small with alot of crossing taxiways, and some challenging appoarches, it could make for some intense traffic. It could also test a pilots skill if the winds are in the correct direction for the Expressway Visual 31 approach. Which is a once chance aiport with very short turns for downwind-base and base-final. (see link)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1102/00289EXP ... _VIS31.PDF

Thanks,

ameri767300

Hooo, boy. This'll be interesting to say the least.

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford

Guest chuck

how about throw KJFK in the mix too. that would make for some even more interesting patterns

Guest Brandon Carter
I was doing some plane spotting at KLGA today

Sweet... where was that? East Elmhurst? The GCP Pedestrian Bridge? Marina Boardwalk? (There are some really great views of the Exprs. Vis 31 from the last two.)

Guest Max Enis
I was doing some plane spotting at KLGA today

Sweet... where was that? East Elmhurst? The GCP Pedestrian Bridge? Marina Boardwalk? (There are some really great views of the Exprs. Vis 31 from the last two.)

I was in Planeview park. Thats right after the exit for the BQE on the GCP. It was great, not many heavies but low appoarchs but 757's and A321s work too!!

Deal. We'll do that right after the upcoming (April 20) Pp at KIAH.

So what you're saying is I have to keep refreshing the page from 11pm and onwards until you change the page if I want tower over Matt? Great....

Logo_zpscwwfv59t.png

Tim Brett (BE)

ZBW S3

Guest slayer816

So what you're saying is I have to keep refreshing the page from 11pm and onwards until you change the page if I want tower over Matt? Great....

Pshhh, I have an auto script for that kind of thing.

Seriously, I think id like to fly this one for a change.

Pshhh, I have an auto script for that kind of thing.

Seriously, I think id like to fly this one for a change.

Let’s hope you're telling the truth and you're not just trying to trick me into lowering my guard. Anyway, I'm going to love to see them try to get guys lined up for an Expressway Visual to 31 with such little space. Oh, and I vouch for the next pack the pack the pattern/simulated IFR weather event to be at San Diego. I wonder if Matt would support me on this one.....

Oh, my flight leaves at 3:40! MBPV-KCLT AWE1060 and then KCLT-CYYZ at 10:00pm on AWE1782. Hopefully US Airway pilots are as nice as the Continental pilots were on the way down.

Logo_zpscwwfv59t.png

Tim Brett (BE)

ZBW S3

Guest Max Enis

Every time i have tried to do it i have either ended up stalling out over the bay, making the turn too tight over citi field, or approaching really high and putting it down about about 3/4 of the runway, near 22. I think i have only done it once successfully. It would be really intense if we could get a crosswind going with it!

Expressway Visual 31 is by no means an easy approach. I have seen my fair share of pilots stall, crash, turn tight, turn shallow, or simply not fly the procedure as published at all. And I have also seen some pilots get the approach right. It takes a lot of practice, because if you fly the approach correctly, you'll fly a tightrope edge between LGA and JFK tower airspace, and it's quite thrilling. Practice, practice, practice, and rest assured, when I control New York and as long as the wind behaves, those Expressway Visual 31s are in use.

Here's a neat vid of the approach from the ground, with the old Shea Stadium as the reference:

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford