Guest Brandon Carter

Pack Your Bags -- We're Heading Overseas!

Guest Brandon Carter

Details for BVA's first European Tour event have been finalized!

Head over to http://bostonvirtualatc.com/dnn/EuropeanTourDetails.aspx for more information.

Get your cameras ready because we'll be visiting the home of the Industrial Revolution in north-central England, which led Europe's Crystal Palace Exhibition in 1851 -- and then make the trip to the home of the raincoat in Glasgow. I'll definitely be bringing along my golf clubs for the short drive over to St. Andrew's for a quick 18 on the Old Course as well.

I can't wait to see all those "Speedbirds" in the European skies on July 9th!

Cheerio! :D

I'm sure all of our controllers will put on their best British accent along with their best Scot impersonation. I know I will.

Logo_zpscwwfv59t.png

Tim Brett (BE)

ZBW S3

Guest mike taylor

Hehe love ur English history bcarter. Just a few problems tho we don't have a north-central england, if we did have a central England there would be no room for a north,south,east and west.The industrial revolution started over 150 years earlier around 1740-1760. Crystal Palace was just another World Fair exhibition held in 1875. The oldest north american expo is the world fair of Tunbridg, Vermont first held in 1867. The first world fair was held in london in 1756. As for Glasgow all its famous for is some drunk scots and a bit of haggis. One tip when parking at manchester, don't leave ur plane unattended cos it will get nicked. Other than that I carnt wait to be in home airspace.

Guest Brandon Carter

Ehhh, I'm not so sure -- The earliest traces of the Industrial Revolution were found in England in the 1780s. At the earliest, its effects were not felt until after 1830 (due to the continental-based Napoleonic Wars which lasted until 1815). I believe you were referring to the proto-industrualization technologies such as John Kay (of Walmersley) in 1733 (the flying shuttle), Hargreaves (of Lancashire) in 1753 with the spinning jenny, and Samuel Crompton's spinning mule of 1779 -- all of these inventions being created prior to the steam engine. As for the Crystal Palace, I'm almost certain it was built for the 1851 for the international exhibit to signify Britian's industrial, economic, and military power. It began on May 1st and lasted 141 days! In fact, the Crystal Palace structure is roughly 1/3 mile long and 800,000 sq. feet inside. England's gross national product grew 350% and per capita income increased almost 100% between 1801 and 1850!

Enough European history -- when's the event again?!

Guest Chris Eells

Nothing that we imagine to be true industrialization was possible before the 1840s when ample supplies of American Bison skins were traded to Europe by American Indian peoples to run the belts on European machines. It was also the only leather strong enough and water-resistant enough to handle the climates of Sub-Saharan Africa -- allowing Europeans to colonize the interior of the continent.

Thanks Buffalo!

These world-fairs were not only displays of technology and industry, they were also amazing ethnographic events. Captured, and semi-captured peoples from the colonies lived in exhibition for the duration of the fairs. Does anyone know if the wright brothers flyer was operating at the 1904 world fair in St. Lious? I believe it was, but I can not remember. I know they had a Japenese village, and several groups of American Indians.... I imagine they must have had the wright flyer.

So..... off to the UK? Time to dust off the old Mk. II Spitfire....

attachment.php?attachmentid=89667&stc=1&d=1296195210

See you over Scotland,

Chris

If it's not the FFTF, it's something else big. Why does BVA always schedule this stuff when I have concrete plans made and deposits paid for hotel rooms?

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford

With the European Tour approaching, do pilots have any specific concerns or fears about flying in non-U.S. airspace? I know we have had a few events in Canada that weren't as well attended as others and I'm hoping that was coincidence rather than fear of something new.

For what it's worth, controllers will mostly use familiar phraseology (U.K. phraseology will be optional for those controllers who wish to simulate it) and while the charts may look different, the procedures and navigation equipment is generally standard across borders. The preferred routes are somewhat more complex than normal, but (just like always) you'll have flight plans for download and the option of flying DIRECT if you prefer.

We are also planning to put together a video to help pilots learn more about the differences between phraseology and procedures in the U.K. (and Europe in general). The video will be in the format of a flight departing Glasgow (EGPF) and Manchester (EGCC) that we hope to have available for you well in time for the event. If anyone is interested in participating as either a pilot or controller (and especially if you have an English or Scottish accent!), please shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]). The time commitment for the video is 10am-1pm ET on Sunday, June 12.

If you have any questions or trepidations about European airspace...or what should be in the video...please let us know so that we can try to address them. While we hope the European Tour will be a fun break from our standard North American operations, we also want to make sure that you can have fun flying your aircraft and aren't too inconvenienced by the differences in protocol to look out the window and enjoy the new scenery!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest george bruton

I think anything to help simplfy learning the new talk would be great. I started to read the first part of this thread when it first poped up about the changes and what means what and I can tell you I did not retain a single thing.... I think just more because it is not something we use daily. Perhaps a cheat sheet with US meaning translated to UK. for the simple stuff.... that way you can print it out and have it next to you or something for quick refrence.

Roseseta Stone Avation additon..... US into UK.

Perhaps a cheat sheet with US meaning translated to UK. for the simple stuff.... that way you can print it out and have it next to you or something for quick refrence.

Great idea, I'll work on that now. Here's a quick list of some of the things I think should be included. Anything I missed?

Get IFR clearance

What to do after the clearance

Requesting Taxi

Cleared for Takeoff

Radar contact

Climb to altitude

Descend from altitude

QNH/Altimeter

Join the localizer

Cleared ILS

Cleared to land

Flight Following --> Basic radar service

Traffic alerts/advisories

ILS frequency + localizer course heading (where to find it)

SIDs (key differences)

STARs (key differences)

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Perhaps a cheat sheet with US meaning translated to UK. for the simple stuff.... that way you can print it out and have it next to you or something for quick refrence.

European Tour Phraseology Quick Reference Guide.pdf[/attachment:32k4puay]

A huge thanks to Claudio (Cpais) who created this document, along with Pierre (Pierul) and Josh (TheNavyReapers) for review.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest george bruton

Sweet! Go job Evan.

Guest george bruton

So... on ILS approach in UK you do not say the runway you established on? even if there is a 4l or 4r?

“Approach, BAW123 is established

on the localiser.”

BAW123, descend on the ILS, QNH

998 millibars.

So... on ILS approach in UK you do not say the runway you established on? even if there is a 4l or 4r?

You could...by this point, it won't matter since the controller can see your tag, knows which runway you were assigned, and can visually determined whether you are in the right place. I guess for clarity it wouldn't hurt to say the specific localizer/runway that you are on, but as far as I know it's not a requirement.

My reference for the entire document is the CAP413 supplement that has been touted in a couple of places (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413Supplement.pdf). Check the phraseology example on page 14.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Bailey Battles

Time to fire up the ol' bmibaby repaint!