Tom Gauvin

Spin on a GA Fly In

Had a thought based on real GA Fly In's. Would it be possible to designate a few fields to depart from with a narrow window of time for arrival at a central field and then cram as many aircraft as possible into the GA Ramp area and gather on Skype or Team Speak or something similar. Then after some set time start the departure process to return to one of outlying fields.

With a narrow arrival window the pilots will have to plan their flights accordingly, and of course the tower will have the fun of sequencing the pile up. And, it's a chance for many of us to chat live off the frequencies.

Just a thought . . .

Thanks!

Tom G.

Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.

https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim

Perhaps if this is something many people are interested in, it's something we could do informally (i.e. set a time on the forums to get together, set a time and staff a Tower, and see what happens). If it goes well, then we can talk about adding it to the rotation.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

D&A . + . A&D ... Departure & Arrival + Arrival & Departure ... that would make good "Thank God, It's Friday" nights! --- ;)

The Event Coordinators could call the locations and the pilots and controllers do the rest!

Note: The UALR does something like many departures from different locations to one arrival location on Thursday nights. And they are very good at it!

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

I've been away for an extended weekend and just getting back on the forum. I'd like to see an event like this happen. What do you think the most common audio conf chat app might be for people?, Skype, ooVoo, Team Speak, etc. ???

Thanks!

Tom G.

Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.

Guest Brandon Carter

TeamSpeak and/or Skype.

If you'll wanted some channels in one of my TS2/TS3 servers, just let me know.

TeamSpeak and/or Skype.

I think that might work well. TS seems to eat far less Bandwidth and CPU than Skype. THX!

The other item to care for is lining up some ATC volunteers for at least the event airfield.

Thanks!

Tom G.

Guest Max Enis
Had a thought based on real GA Fly In's. Would it be possible to designate a few fields to depart from with a narrow window of time for arrival at a central field and then cram as many aircraft as possible into the GA Ramp area and gather on Skype or Team Speak or something similar. Then after some set time start the departure process to return to one of outlying fields.

With a narrow arrival window the pilots will have to plan their flights accordingly, and of course the tower will have the fun of sequencing the pile up. And, it's a chance for many of us to chat live off the frequencies.

Just a thought . . .

This would be a great idea! Maybe we should do a 'test run' by posting on the forums to get a group together. Also, what exactly would be do on skype once everyone arrives?

TeamSpeak and/or Skype.

I think that might work well. TS seems to eat far less Bandwidth and CPU than Skype. THX!

The other item to care for is lining up some ATC volunteers for at least the event airfield.

Sounds like fun! Would be interesting in seeing how the turnout would be, pilot wise.

Logo_zpscwwfv59t.png

Tom G.

FSExpo Liaison

[email protected]

www.bvartcc.com

I've been off line for several days with several more days (actually weeks) coming up where time will be limited due to some intense activity at work and related business travel. I'm trying to get everything loaded on my laptop and setup so I can do some flying in the evenings from my hotel while away but not sure how well that will work.

Then of course, after that I'm off on vacation for a couple weeks and we camp so very limited access.

I still want to pursue this event format and will be glad to do so when I'm back in town, unless others might want to run with it, otherwise I'll pick up with it later in August at this point. If others are interested in flying or controlling let me know and I'll try to keep all posted.

And, of course, it's just an idea so feel free to provide your thoughts on its viability or alternatives, or what might make it better.

Thanks!

Tom G.

Guest Bailey Battles

Another idea would be this but more of a club type thing you need to join and the club does events like this every couple weeks. Another idea is while you are flying these events your call sign could be HOPS18 etc.

Guest Jason Holzberg

Another add on could be that everyone has to fly a C172 or a cub, so that it would be even more hard and challenging. Just an idea.

Sorry to have dropped the ball on this thread for so long, work has been a bit much for a bit longer than I thought. There is light at then end of the tunnel, it's not far off and it's not an oncoming train. I think . . .

Interesting ideas! To get it started though I think keeping it open and simple would be best. If there's enough interest after the first one then it could be taken further. I'll be away for the upcoming Columbus Day weekend, but I'd like to go ahead and plan this for maybe two weekends out from now maybe the 14th or 15th???

Brandon offered to let us use some channels on Team Speak so that takes care of a place to talk at the destination airfield. Next it would be great to have a tower controller on board. If not we could use unicom at an uncontrolled field. Controlled or uncontrolled, the field should have enough ramp space to be GA friendly. I have a favorite (seldom used in in BVA) field that has a large ramp, KORH. It does have an active tower, sees only minimal commercial traffic these days and has a large GA ramp area. But, there are plenty of other options.

Here's how I envision this. People would be free to fly in from any field outside a radius of the destination field (maybe 30nm). The important thing would be to plan your flight so you arrive within a specific window of time. We set a 30 minute arrival window at the destination field and open teamspeak up during that time and for a 30 minute window following that. No using teamspeak until you are at the ramp and your aircraft is cold and dark. So depending on how early people arrive there would be up to 60 minutes of teamspeak time. Then following that we all fly out as fast as we can fire up the engines and the tower can sequence us out, returning to our original departure points.

So who's interested? What about the 14th or 15th of this month? And, what do you think of the format?

Thanks!

Tom G.

Many pilots will be active with a BVATC promontional video shooting around 4pm to 7pm on October 15, 2011. :)

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Many pilots will be active with a BVATC promontional video shooting around 4pm to 7pm on October 15, 2011. :)

Agreed -- and in fact, the server is likely to be temporarily offline to pilots to facilitate the filming. I would advise a different date.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Agreed -- and in fact, the server is likely to be temporarily offline to pilots to facilitate the filming. I would advise a different date.

Thanks! I wasn't thinking about that when I looked at the dates. If the 14th doesn't work, we'll find a date further out.

Thanks!

Tom G.

Im in for any ga event. Might I suggest a challenge and make the event field a small ga field maybe even a grass field. Turn a non towered airport into a towered airport just for the event. I suggest Andover aeroflex airport 12n. Its small and in between 2 lakes. The addon scenery is great and its free.

Andrew Cofone N421NJ

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770k, Nvidia GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz RAM, Corsair H-90 liquid cooler

REX 4 + Soft Clouds, Acive Sky Next, UTX USA,  GTX USA, FsFX Precipitfx, FlyTampa St. Maarten, Aerosoft Manhatten  X

Guest stephen harano

did an event like this ever come into fruition? This sounds really fun!

did an event like this ever come into fruition? This sounds really fun!

No, not yet. Work got the best of me and has been eating up a lot of my time. I'm hoping we can pull something together though over the next month or two.

Thanks!

Tom G.