Gilles Lagace

MISSED APPROACH Event

Would you join a MISSED APPROACH event where you chances of being called to execute a missed approach would be 50% ?

This means that on a regular event session the TOWER controller(s) could request you to execute the published missed approach, and also the fix holding pattern to have permission to get back to try another landing!

The rules to spice up events and plan such a challenge are in my thoughts.

If you have the skills to exactly perform the procedure please list your BVA ID in a reply to this post.

---> If you would like to learn how to do it perfectly, then reply also but mention that you qualify as a student.

Examples; if we would choose the "ILS or LOC RWY 4R" in KBOS :

:arrow: Bulletman70 - ready

:arrow: DG8152 - student (If you reply "student" please ask for a Mentor, near you... many can help.)

:arrow: newmember3000HighFive - What is a missed approach?

:arrow: airtangofive - ready

:idea: Thanks for thinking about this!

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest stephen harano

jazzcornet - ready (can be a mentor as well)

Hi "Missed approach" geeks... :ugeek:

Having this tally of names up to now : (the list is NOT closed, please reply to get your name in our final list, please.)

Cpais - ready

airtangofive - ready

jazzcornet - ready (can be a mentor as well)

shyflyguy - ready

article10 - UAR421 - proceed

gbruton - iN. Gbruton

Bulletman70 - Ready

I officially ask the ATC Director, the Event Director and the Administration to consider a request to hold the "Missed Approach" feature inside the High-Five celebrations during our Next Pack the Pattern:

Monday, November 28, 8-10pm ET

As a tentative rule section :

- The participating pilot would need to announce, in the Flight plan comments, that s/he is ready, and while requesting the departure clearance.

- The only pilots listed are authorized to perform a normal take-off and proceed the published course to the holding fix found on the apprach ILS or LOC plates for runways 4R or 22L (and 27).

- After following instructions, in the holding pattern, they would be vectored to a normal ILS or LOC approach. At which point and prior to arriving at the MAP, the ATC would instruct as to the result of a draw, made with a truthful coin (US currency).

- Heads or Tail ... Heads you must land. Tail you must execute the missed approach as per the plate and wait in the holding fix pattern for a come back to the airport.

- The pilot that "had" to do a missed approach and that comes back for a second landing would then have HIS/HER own choice to declare at the appropriate moment to "inform" the ATC about the need to do another missed approach or to land safely.

- Pilots that did not get to perform a missed approach at any point, need to go back to the gate and call clearance for a second run at doing a new take-off and, play it again! (If someone feels nice, they could be instructed to taxi back to the departure runway...)

- All rules are subject to clarification and final acceptance by the BVATC authorities.

How about that ladies and gentlemen? ;)

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

I believe adding this layer of complexity onto what I hope will be one of the busiest events we're going to have this year isn't a good recipe for success. I would rather see such an event combined with either a Regional Circuit or Pack the Pattern Double Play. We could then incorporate bad weather into the experience to make it that much more interesting.

If you like that idea, we could easily hold a Double Play Pack the Pattern in foul weather at KBOS some time after the High Five.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

I believe adding this layer of complexity onto what I hope will be one of the busiest events we're going to have this year isn't a good recipe for success. I would rather see such an event combined with either a Regional Circuit or Pack the Pattern Double Play. We could then incorporate bad weather into the experience to make it that much more interesting.

If you like that idea, we could easily hold a Double Play Pack the Pattern in foul weather at KBOS some time after the High Five.

Yes, certainly Evan. I like this idea of the missed approach mixed with foul weather, making it more realistic. My intention was to provide one of our High-Five event with some spicy addition, to celebrate. I understand that the level of complexity involved asks us to take our time. The good response I got from pilots who are ready made me suggest the idea at this early stage of preparation.

So, I hope that we can plan such a new feature inside one of our future events after the High-Five (+30) celebration.

I declare that my timing needs a "missed approach" procedure, so I'm going to the holding pattern fix and wait for the interest to grow amongst our members. :) Thanks!

Guest slayer816

I agree with Evan, I believe that this would not be successful during what I think will be one of the busiest events of the week. Keeping in mind of course all pilots should be able to and expect to fly the appropriate missed approach procedures this Monday should the need arise. I guarantee that with the amount of traffic I will have, that's exactly what will be instructed if my sector is overloaded.

However, I would be willing to volunteer for this idea whenever it is implemented into an event as a controller. I think it will be both fun and productive. We could also recruit a stack controller to assist. Sign me up (as a controller).

Thanks.

Guest stephen harano

We should hold some training before we do this...

Following missed approach procedures sounds rather painless; but, for the few who 'think' they know what to do may cause all sorts of confusion to both controllers and other pilots. I endorse the idea of having the missed approaches in our session, but only to the capable pilots.

- The only pilots listed are authorized to perform a normal take-off and proceed the published course to the holding fix found on the apprach ILS or LOC plates for runways 4R or 22L (and 27).

Quoted from earlier in this thread.

As with all features I plan to introduce inside the events (such as this one for MISSED APPROACH) we will have an authorized list of participants who will be allowed to perform the procedure or maneuver. We are now restructuring the STC and that will allow us to give pilots a rating which will allow them to perform "demanding" procedures. We really want the events to profit from good pilotage and will help everyone achieve such levels. We sure do not want to disturb the actual good flow of air traffic.

By the way, I'm gathering requests and thoughts from inside the Forums to really add to the future events. Thanks to everyone for your input!