Guest Dave Wegner

Screens KBOS-KBTV Circuit 6/26/12

Guest Dave Wegner

A couple photos from last evening's regional circuit between Boston and Burlington.

2033 local, most departures began at KBOS, a couple fast airliners left from KBTV and were already over Manchester.

Capture1.jpg[/attachment:uv4ro3bj]

2036 local, most northbound folks were established on the preferred route, a lot of departures queuing up at KBOS as the event continued.

Capture3.jpg[/attachment:uv4ro3bj]

2043 local, circuit is becoming more clear as more planes take to the air towards their destinations, nice little cluster near Concord for Center to deal with.

Capture5.jpg[/attachment:uv4ro3bj]

2049 local, from the BVA website, Center definitely handling some traffic now.

Capture8.jpg[/attachment:uv4ro3bj]

2054 local with tighter zoom into KBTV, the later turbojet departures from KBOS are catching up to the earlier props, airspace around Burlington getting congested, several speed restrictions taking place now.

Capture10.jpg[/attachment:uv4ro3bj]

2128 local, several arrivals into Boston getting sequences for the 4s

Capture13.jpg[/attachment:uv4ro3bj]

2139 local, most of the later event depatures from KBOS are moving into Burlington airspace, I was booted from gamespy at this point, but heard Center doing a great job keeping people sequenced on descents. I also think BTV_A got knocked off for a while, leaving Evan to handle it to Tower.

Capture14.jpg[/attachment:uv4ro3bj]

Guest Lucas Kaelin

2139 local, most of the later event depatures from KBOS are moving into Burlington airspace, I was booted from gamespy at this point, but heard Center doing a great job keeping people sequenced on descents. I also think BTV_A got knocked off for a while, leaving Evan to handle it to Tower.

WHAT!?

It's not center's job to sequence aircraft, just separate them. Sequencing traffic is approach's job, and should be able to sequence 3 aircraft stacked in altitude, as long as center provided some sort of separation to them. That's all the fun of approach right there, deciding who goes first, and who's upset you enough to go to the back of the line. Any pilot who's worked with a real approach control will tell you even cancelling IFR won't help you if they're busy. They still get sent out to join the line where approach designates they fit. And as approach speed, altitude, and vectors are all part of the game, don't be afraid to give guys 30+ degrees right/left of course to put on a parallel downwind in sequencing.

It is also not departure's job to sequence the departures for center, provide some form of initial separation and ship them over upon completion of strip pass. I can't tell you once when I've actually used a speed restriction for successive departures. As long as there's 5 miles that isn't decreasing approach is good, if center doesn't like the minimum 5 (or 3 increasing to 5) they get to change it not approach.

Guest Dave Wegner

WHAT!?

It's not center's job to sequence aircraft, just separate them. Sequencing traffic is approach's job, and should be able to sequence 3 aircraft stacked in altitude, as long as center provided some sort of separation to them. That's all the fun of approach right there, deciding who goes first, and who's upset you enough to go to the back of the line. Any pilot who's worked with a real approach control will tell you even cancelling IFR won't help you if they're busy. They still get sent out to join the line where approach designates they fit. And as approach speed, altitude, and vectors are all part of the game, don't be afraid to give guys 30+ degrees right/left of course to put on a parallel downwind in sequencing.

It is also not departure's job to sequence the departures for center, provide some form of initial separation and ship them over upon completion of strip pass. I can't tell you once when I've actually used a speed restriction for successive departures. As long as there's 5 miles that isn't decreasing approach is good, if center doesn't like the minimum 5 (or 3 increasing to 5) they get to change it not approach.

Like I said, I think BTV_A got knocked off the server, which means Evan would have had to take over as overhead controller.

Guest Lucas Kaelin

Like I said, I think BTV_A got knocked off the server, which means Evan would have had to take over as overhead controller.

You missed the point.. if there's no _A then yes it is center's job to sequence aircraft and act as _A. However, if _A is online, center shouldn't be doing anything more than the descent to reasonable altitude in _A's airspace and hand them off. Giving aircraft at different flight levels speed restrictions so there's an easy sequence into the airport takes all the fun out of working ATC. Hence why I mentioned center giving approach a "stack" (2+ airplanes with less than lateral or longitudinal separation along same route, however, are separated vertically and still landing at the same destination). This satisfies the center requirement for separation, and gives the _A something to do, making the job interesting and better than the last time I worked approach. Sitting on _A all night issuing the same instructions "proceed direct FIXAA, cross FIXAA at 4000, cleared GPS 12 approach." That's no fun, especially in airspace I control for my day job. A nice neat little line from one airport to another via the event route is pretty to look at on a map, but boring as H#!! to be ATC for.