Pierre Bonnet

Flight distance during events.

Guest ascrabbleboy

I say 300-400 also, but i'd like to see events setup for general aviation, commercial - mid range, long range.. variety.

I say 300-400 also, but i'd like to see events setup for general aviation, commercial - mid range, long range.. variety.

Uh... we have the Rc, Dj, Pp, and Fi... I'd say those qualify as short, mid-to long-range, and general aviation...

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest ascrabbleboy

Uh... we have the Rc, Dj, Pp, and Fi... I'd say those qualify as short, mid-to long-range, and general aviation...

perhaps i just havnt been around enough.

Guest donovan48

Busted! :P

Busted! :P

That wasn't very nice for a first post on our forums...oh well. We all know first impressions don't matter, right? Right...?

Anyway, the point is we do have a variety of events, but the non-standard ones (Dj, Pp, Fi, Ga, and HTC) don't happen with the same regularity as the Regional Circuit. By the time October rolls around, however, we'll have had at least one of each (except the HTC| the next one of those is set for February). As Brandon rightly pointed out, you can view a description and calendar of our events on the Events page linked above.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest donovan48

Gah, classic me... didn't realize it would be taken that way. :oops:

Guest Josh Handelsman

I am a piston/turboprop guy and like the 100-200 nm events especially when flying the KA350, Mooney, and the three Cape Air (KAP) aircraft: Baron 58, Cessna 414, and Dash-8.

These flights are long enough to enjoy the ride without getting behind the aircraft, but fast enough to avoid boredom and getting me to my destination (usually) before ATC shuts-down for the night. I am typically unable to attend the events right at the beginning due to family obligations and time zone.

As an instructor with STC/3P, however, I like the 0-100 nm flight especially with newer students because I can fly a true cross country in a Cessna 172 without taking 5-hours to do so, but with enough time to cover analog navigation and chart work, such as Victor Airways, Intersections (cross-checking with radials), holds, etc. while comparing them to a GPS course for reference.

My most challenging flight on BVA was probably this past Tuesday flying a King Air 350 from KPWM to KBOS during a student "intro" flight. The distance, 80-ish miles or so, was much shorter than I am accustomed to given the speed of the KA, and I found myself behind the aircraft slightly. Contributing factors included a mostly vectored flight (95% or so... lots of traffic) and some VOR radial work to which I am accustomed, but less so with the unfamiliar panel of the KA350, not to mention dusting the rust off.

This was a good learning experience for ME, as it was a poor learning experience for the student/observer| I did not have 2-seconds to explain anything so we had to schedule another flight for the near future.

So I guess my point is that the ideal distance for an event depends on the type of aircraft, type of flight (training, leisure, military, VA), and traffic density at the respective departure and arrival airports.

This was a good learning experience for ME, as it was a poor learning experience for the student/observer| I did not have 2-seconds to explain anything so we had to schedule another flight for the near future.

So I guess my point is that the ideal distance for an event depends on the type of aircraft, type of flight (training, leisure, military, VA), and traffic density at the respective departure and arrival airports.

I second Josh's opinion. I add that TIME average is a most important factor for any enjoyable flight. I might consider that verbal pre-flight briefing takes about (5 minutes), then Flight preparation - in FD (10 minutes), ... getting clearance (5+ minutes), ... taxiing (5 minutes), ... take-off (5 minutes)... climbing to altitude ( +/- 10 minutes), ... cruising at altitude and navigating (25, 30 ... or 45 minutes), ... descent and approach (10 minutes), ... landing (5 minutes), ... taxiing to ramp (5 minutes) and debriefing (10 minutes).

All of that timing give us a good chance to enjoy our flight and also to be able to give some STC instruction.

All added up we want to spend ... (95minutes) ... or (100 minutes) ... or (115 minutes) ... which brings us to a ONE hour and a HALF session ... and a bit more with unavoidable delays.

Sounds good to me with students in STC and, great for some relaxing time on my own... Now, let's go figure a coverable distance... and fly! |)

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008