Francis Dube

Boston ARTCC Descend Via Directive

vZBW Directive 02042015/1

Revision 1

February 4, 2015

Descend Via usage in the Boston ARTCC

Purpose: To provide reference for controllers at the enroute and TRACON level in usage of descend via clearances on STAR's. We have been following the established RW procedure that does not include Descend via clearances at the enroute level. As the RW Boston ARTCC is beginning to issue these clearances, we will incorporate them as well.

Effective date: This directive is in effect as of February 4, 2015

Applicability: This directive applies to the following STAR's in the Boston ARTCC:

KBOS: OOSHN, QUABN, ROBUC

KMHT: ROZZE

KPWM: SCOGS, CDOGG

KBED/KBVY/KLWM: ZELKA

FAA JO 7110.65v reference material:

Section 4-5-7

Instructions to vertically navigate on a STAR/SID with published restrictions.

PHRASEOLOGY-

DESCEND VIA (STAR name and number).

TERMINAL: DESCEND VIA (STAR name and number and runway number).

EXAMPLE-

?Descend via the Eagul Five arrival.?

?Cross Gramm at or above flight level one eight zero, then descend via the Riivr Two arrival.?

TERMINAL: ?Descend via the Lendy One Arrival, Runway 22 left.?

NOTE-

When cleared for STARs that contain published speed restrictions, the pilot must comply with those speed restrictions independent of any descend via clearance.

Clearance to ?descend via? authorizes pilots:

1. To descend at pilot discretion to meet published restrictions and laterally navigate on a STAR. Pilots navigating on a STAR must maintain the last assigned altitude until receiving clearance to descend via. Once departing an altitude the pilot may not return to that altitude without an ATC clearance.?

2. When cleared to a waypoint depicted on a STAR, to descend from a previously assigned altitude at pilot's discretion to the altitude depicted for that waypoint. ATC assigned altitudes must ensure obstacle clearance.

3. Once established on the depicted arrival, to descend and to meet all published or assigned altitude and/or speed restrictions. Where speed restrictions are published at the waypoint/fix pilots will begin slowing to comply with the restrictions prior to reaching the waypoint/fix.

If it is necessary to assign a crossing altitude which differs from the STAR or SID altitude, emphasize the change to the pilot.

PHRASEOLOGY-

DESCEND VIA (STAR name and number) ARRIVAL, EXCEPT CROSS (fix, point, waypoint), (revised altitude information).

EXAMPLE-

?United 454 descend via the Haris One Arrival, except cross Haris at or above one six thousand.?

Operational Usage:

Controlling Center Top Down, Center controllers may issue descend via along with the runway transition to reduce frequency congestion.

Controlling Center with TRACON available, Center controllers will issue their descend via clearance with the transition to expect from the TRACON controller. The TRACON controller will issue the runway transition upon receiving the aircraft.

Phraseology-

Enroute- ?American 332, descend via the ROBUC1 arrival, expect runway 22L?

TRACON- ?American 332, descend via the ROBUC1 arrival, runway 22L, Boston altimeter xx.xx?

At times there will be aircraft that are filed for an approach and do not have the ability to fly it vertically, in this case we will revert to using hard altitudes and there must be coordination between enroute and TRACON controllers. Remember that scratchpads do not work for TRACON controllers so a verbal or text based coordination is required.

Also at times to maintain vertical separation or as needed by any controller, there may be a need to issue a descend via clearance with a limit. See the phraseology listed above, this also requires coordination between controllers.

Center controllers must monitor all aircraft on descend via clearances to ensure they will meet proper handoff points to the TRACON controller. We have not seen many issues with this yet as many pilots are flying with good FMC equipment, but there will always be mistakes and early correction makes everyone life easier.

Summary:

This should not be a difficult transition. At the TRACON level you will be receiving aircraft further into your lateral boundaries before they descend into your vertical boundary. Descend via at the TRACON level does not change, enroute will no longer issue hard altitudes unless necessary for traffic management.

Francis Dube (DB)

ironmicsig.PNG

Thanks DB ... a question:

Phraseology-

Enroute- ?American 332, descend via the ROBUC1 arrival, expect runway 22L?

TRACON- ?American 332, descend via the ROBUC1 arrival, runway 22L, Boston altimeter xx.xx?

These phraseology examples do not tell the pilot what type of approach to expect. What is the recommended phraseology for doing that? This is assuming the pilot does not check in with the current ATIS. I suppose we don't have a real world A90 example to follow here because presumably most real world pilots check in with the ATIS and thus they know what type of approach to expect.

These phraseology examples do not tell the pilot what type of approach to expect. What is the recommended phraseology for doing that? This is assuming the pilot does not check in with the current ATIS. I suppose we don't have a real world A90 example to follow here because presumably most real world pilots check in with the ATIS and thus they know what type of approach to expect.

This phraseology has never done so in the real-world and virtual. Even on VATSIM, pilots have always been expected to get the ATIS which will include this information. From what I've experienced, when pilots don't get the ATIS, they pretty much always expect the ILS. If you ever take them off the arrival or give them a "depart FIX heading XXX" you could also include "vectors for the [iLS/visual/etc.] approach" for further clarification. Have never experienced problems with this, though.

spacer.png

Cam Bruno (BN)

Community Manager

BN, if you had a pilot check in without the ATIS, and you were running visuals, what would you do? (Given that you are assuming they would expect the ILS.) I would probably just modify it as such:

American 332, descend via the ROBUC1 arrival, runway 22L visual approach, Boston altimeter xx.xx.

But I was looking for an official vZBW policy for the phraseology on this, if there is one ... if not, no big deal, we can each handle it our own way.

Depends on the situation. Let's say it was someone coming in on the ROBUC1, 22L transition like you said:

BOS_APP: AAL332, descend via the ROBUC1 arrival, runway 22L transition. The Boston altimeter 2992"

*...as he approaches TAALE...

BOS_APP: AAL332, depart TAALE heading 040, then descend maintain 3000, vectors for the visual approach runway 22L"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But lets say he was on the ROBUC1, 4R transition. I'd honestly just give him the transition then call the field at his 12 o'clock and 15 miles, tell him to report it in sight, then clear him for the visual. Technically its on him to check the ATIS in the first place but worst that happens is that he requests the ILS and if it's too last minute then I re-sequence him. Again, haven't really ever had a problem with this though. Which is a good thing because more and more pilots are comfortable with visuals and other types of approaches.

spacer.png

Cam Bruno (BN)

Community Manager

The problem with that is that it doesn't tell the pilot right up front what type of approach to expect. In my experience, more often than not, if you say the runway without saying the type of approach, the pilot will come right back and say "uh, Boston approach, is this going to be an ILS or visual approach?" So I always tell them what type of approach to expect in the same breath as when I assign the runway, if they don't state the ATIS code.

Perhaps when pilots check in without the ATIS, I'll leave the type of approach out of the transmission, and if they ask, I'll say "advise when you have ATIS kilo."  ;D

In my experience, more often than not, if you say the runway without saying the type of approach, the pilot will come right back and say "uh, Boston approach, is this going to be an ILS or visual approach?"

Interesting. I honestly have almost never experienced this.

But yes very true, enforcing getting the ATIS is always a good thing. Might just be one of those "handle our own way" situations as you mentioned. Hope my input helped though, thanks Ross!  :D

spacer.png

Cam Bruno (BN)

Community Manager

It hasn't happened very many times for me either, since I have almost always given the type of approach to expect, so when I say that "more often than not" they will ask what type of approach, I am working from a very small sample set. :)

Definitely a good case for gently nudging pilots toward being in the habit of fetching the ATIS prior to calling approach.

I'd say that over my last few controlling sessions on approach, maybe a third of the pilots checked in with the ATIS. So there's lots of room for improvement, and like you said, anything we can do to encourage getting the ATIS is going to help everyone in the long run.

As a pilot, it's sometimes hard to get the voice ATIS before checking in on approach during a busy event, especially if you get handed off to approach late and you need to get instructions from approach ASAP. In those cases I've resorted to just double-clicking the ATIS entry in the vPilot controller list and reading the text version.  :)

On a related trivial note, if I remember correctly, Squawkbox automatically displays the controller's text ATIS as soon as you switch to their frequency. I've thought about adding such a feature to vPilot, but that won't help now that more and more towers are providing a voice ATIS on a separate frequency. Maybe I could have it look at your flight plan and check if there is an _ATIS controller online matching your arrival airfield, and auto-fetch the text version when you get within a certain distance. :)

Perhaps when pilots check in without the ATIS, I'll leave the type of approach out of the transmission, and if they ask, I'll say "advise when you have ATIS kilo."  ;D

FWIW, that's what I do....  "If you teach a man to fish...."  ;)

FWIW, that's what I do....  "If you teach a man to fish...."  ;)

I like this approach (pun intended) also as over time it should help 'train' the pilots to listen to the ATIS. Now that we have VATIS, it is easier to facilitate a current ATIS with the automatic updates. 

Now that we have VATIS' date=' it is easier to facilitate a current ATIS with the automatic updates. [/quote']

Especially now that more of us have gotten off their lazy ass and actually installed and configured vATIS.  :-[ Kinda sad that I helped Justin write the thing, provided some of the code, did the code review for the BoG, and only started using it in anger the other day.  :D

Now that we have VATIS' date=' it is easier to facilitate a current ATIS with the automatic updates. [/quote']

Especially now that more of us have gotten off their lazy ass and actually installed and configured vATIS.  :-[ Kinda sad that I helped Justin write the thing, provided some of the code, did the code review for the BoG, and only started using it in anger the other day.  :D

It's ok to admit that you don't like Huge Harry's dulcet tones reading weather... :D