Administrator

Event Ideas

Have an idea for a future event? Post it on this thread for consideration! 

(If you have feedback about an ATC experience during an event, or suggestions about existing events, please use this thread.)

GA Pilot poker run. Pick 5-7 towered airports to feature within a reasonable distance. Each pilot that completes a full stop at a selected airport gets a playing card (selected by random card generator). The "course" can have a pre-determined sequence which may help with ATC predictability and flow.  Best poker hand wins. Since the event would be taking place over multiple fields, an event coordinator can help keep track of participants' arrivals and monitor ATC using Teamspeak and Vatsim. They can give cards to pilots via Discord during the event or we can confirm eligibility after the event (similar to the LVFR KDBL giveaway last year). I can use up to 8 decks in the random generator, so that is 416 cards/arrivals maximum. If we use a 5 card hand, we can have no more than 83 pilots. If we use a 7 card hand, we can have 59 pilots max. Prior registration may be encouraged.

There isn't even a requirement that it be a one day event. We could make each leg a weekly event to get more participation.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:35 PM, David Burns said:

GA Pilot poker run. Pick 5-7 towered airports to feature within a reasonable distance.

You can expect to see this during Tea Party in August. We do it every year. There are normally some pretty good giveaways too: 

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

4 hours ago, Evan Reiter said:

You can expect to see this during Tea Party in August. We do it every year. There are normally some pretty good giveaways too: 

Figures that it happened just before I joined BVA. I knew I was on to something.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, Will Stewart said:

‐ +1 on GA poker idea, and maybe take the focus out to different areas, like boundaries within ME/NH/VT.

- ZDC had a treasure hunt last week, three airports in the region had crates and you got a cardinal direction and signal strength every time you landed. Every depicted strip on skyvector is eligible, from class B to pvt.

Treasure hunt sounds like a good idea.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:05 AM, Carl Rothenhaus said:

Probably already has been done because its such a low lying terrible pun. A really late night event at KBED, 2300 to 0200ET maybe. Call it "Past your BEDtime at KBED".

I don't think it has been done...but it's brilliant.

+1

spacer.png

Cam Bruno (BN)

Community Manager

Maybe with the subtitle....  "And on VATSIM, you won't have to pay the $477 Massport late night landing fee!"

Edited by Don Desfosse

I'm sure there's a good reason why we don't, but I feel like we should have an emergencies-themed event for May Day. 

Probably need to put some guardrails on it, either have people register in advance for permission to dump an emergency on us.  Or we just heavily disclaimer the whole thing as "Expect Mayhem," and we understand that ATC will Do Their Level Best(tm) but it's gonna get ugly.

It's obviously not the serious atmosphere that VATSIM usually works towards but it's good to let out steam every once in a while.

I don’t know if you could get a single radar controller to ever request to be rostered for such an event. 

It’s an interesting event idea, but personally Id rather wait for the time lapses. 🙂

On 10/25/2022 at 7:43 AM, William Walker said:

I'm sure there's a good reason why we don't, but I feel like we should have an emergencies-themed event for May Day. 

Probably need to put some guardrails on it, either have people register in advance for permission to dump an emergency on us.  Or we just heavily disclaimer the whole thing as "Expect Mayhem," and we understand that ATC will Do Their Level Best(tm) but it's gonna get ugly.

It's obviously not the serious atmosphere that VATSIM usually works towards but it's good to let out steam every once in a while.

There's a good reason why we don't.